Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Lost and Found

Old 03-25-2013, 11:13 PM

Default ethical requirement when you find a ring?

Please excuse my ignorence, my family and I are new to detecting. My 10 year old son found a silver ring the other day that got me thinking, if he finds a wedding ring or other valuable objects, is their an ethical obligation to try to find its former owner before he can call it his or is it finders keepers?

Old 03-25-2013, 11:16 PM
Elite Member

If it has an engravment with a name on it, the right thing to do is try to find the owner. If not; there is no telling how long ago it was lost and would be impossible to track the owner down.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:17 PM

IMO..... It's finders keepers unless there is a name on it. If there is a name, I would do my research and see if that person is still in the area. If not.... Finders keepers rules apply. If they are... Offer the ring back.
Just my 2 cents worth.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Scoot_88 View post
IMO..... It's finders keepers unless there is a name on it. If there is a name, I would do my research and see if that person is still in the area. If not.... Finders keepers rules apply. If they are... Offer the ring back.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Agreed!

Old 03-26-2013, 12:26 AM
Banned

If someone asks you if you found a ring , ask them to describe it before showing it. if it has a name, I would look for the owner

Old 03-26-2013, 12:56 AM

finders keepers IMO

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:04 AM
Elite Member

Go with your conscience.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:05 AM

Karma is a real weird thing. I feel if it has a name on it, research it and if you can return it, you should. Maybe you'll get a finders fee. At least be able to sleep at night. When it comes to my kids, I try to lead by example. That's just me. However, if it is unmarked, think like a pirate!

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:24 AM
Elite Member

I usually only feel a tinge of conscience if it has a name inside it...no name though and I'm all smiles!

Old 03-26-2013, 02:39 AM

Thumbs up Pretty much what everybody else said

Yeah if there is a name on it are somebody comes up and describes it. I think if it does have a name are if you can find the owner, I think your son will feel as good if not better giving it back than he did when he found it. but I wouldn't worry about it much and enjoy the ring cause Class Ring's are the ring's most likely to be returned because they have all kind's of info on them.

ENJOY DETECTING WITH THE FAMILY

Old 03-26-2013, 02:40 AM
Elite Member

in my experience there are two kinds of metal detector people - those that do it for the thrill of the chase, the chance to find long lost treasure, and then there are those that are in it just for the money

the money guys always say "finders keepers" no matter if there is a name, address, phone number etc etc on a find

the other guys have better moral values and will try to return a find if there is any way possible to

8 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:49 AM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

Originally Posted by 351maverick View post
in my experience there are two kinds of metal detector people - those that do it for the thrill of the chase, the chance to find long lost treasure, and then there are those that are in it just for the money

the money guys always say "finders keepers" no matter if there is a name, address, phone number etc etc on a find

the other guys have better moral values and will try to return a find if there is any way possible to
"Better moral values?"
How many times have you tracked down an owner and had a ring grabbed out of your hand when you go to the trouble of knocking on their door and then had that door slammed in their face?

How about letting someone know you have their property and then they put you off, ignore you, and play games with you for weeks...and then hardly a thank you when they do finally do you a favor and pick it up.

Maybe you have called someone dozens of times and they never answered or just picked up the phone and hung up before you ever had a chance to say a word.

Maybe you have been at a park or beach when someone asks you to find "their" ring with only a vague description and large area where they "lost" it, but in reality they were just hoping to get lucky and take some anonymous ring you found hoping you were foolish enough to believe them.

There are many, many other pretty bad scenarios when you try to return property, not all returns are classic and textbook and make you feel good about yourself.
Sometimes, what can go on can make you feel pretty awful and very frustrated.

Who are you to make such judgements about who is moral and who is not?
Have you walked in ANYONE'S shoes in any of the examples above?

I have, and your ignorant opinion aside I consider myself a very moral person, I have tried to do the "right" thing in the past and I sleep very well at night.
Even my wife, who has always been super sensitive to others feelings and is honest and moral as the day is log, AND was so proud of me the few times I have tried to "Do the right thing" has changed her mind about all this when she saw how I felt and how I was affected after a couple of bad experiences.
Because of the way I was treated in the past I am now a firm believer in that finders keepers thing...and many other hunters feel the same.
I do this for the thrill of the hunt, I don't do this for the money and have never cashed in anything I have ever found but I will one day, and then I will buy something nice for my wife with that money...
Someone that I have full confidence will appreciate the gesture.

Must be nice to live such a righteous life, and think you have the right to make judgement's on everyone else's life, too.
I guess we are honored to have God or at least a Saint as one of the members on this forum.

Sincerely, the opportunist."

15 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:58 AM
Elite Member

I think if it's engraved, it's probably worth looking for the owner. If the find looks really valuable, specially beyond scrap value, but no mark, maybe look for an owner. Unmarked, common stuff, probably wouldn't bother, just be too hard to deal with scammers. An engraving is personal, pretty hard to simply guess, and also tend to carry a greater emotional attachment. The reward for returning it, would be much greater than the value of the ring, might even get a few bucks for your time, as gratitude as well.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:40 AM
Elite Member

No law no requirement nothing. It is yours to do as you please. Some try and find the owner and some don't. Some who try and find the owner find that it is more trouble then it is worth and the people are not thankful at all.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT3lt5YN59j_6NrzpC9yg0g

Old 03-26-2013, 06:37 AM
24K Larry

It's whatever you personally prefer. Doesn't bother me which way you decide. You got to remember almost everything we are finding was lost by someone. It isn't just rings. You gonna call Spain if you find a Spanish coin from a wreck and send it back? Me i'll hang onto certain things to see if an owner shows. Other things i don't worry about it. I've been called a few names just for being in the water looking for jewelry. One lady called me a thief. I grew thicker skin beach hunting. Sometimes metal detecting isn't for the timid! Had some friends who used to return rings. The people they returned it to broke them of wanting to try after some bad experiences. Sometimes its neat to hear the story of how something was lost. Be your own guide.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:30 AM
Elite Member

Try to get it back to the owner by way of possibility name or phone# maybe address, if that fails then its your w/ no regrets...

two Excals 2, one Excal 1000, two Excal Swords, AT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug pro, Tesoror Lobos Super trac, Etrac, Ace 250, AT pro pointer carot, two pro pointer and GPX .THE NEXT SWING COULD BE BLING.....

Old 03-26-2013, 07:51 AM
Elite Member

If someone asked me to look for a ring they lost and I found it, I would return it. Otherwise, it's finders keepers....

Old 03-26-2013, 07:56 AM

Heard a saying years ago...."No good deed goes unpunished". It has applied to me many of times.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Captain Silver View post
If someone asked me to look for a ring they lost and I found it, I would return it. Otherwise, it's finders keepers....
Plus one .

Old 03-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Elite Member

My initial feeling is finders keepers. However, I have yet to have the luxury of being in that predicament so I may change my mind when it happens, somehow I doubt it though.