Best angle for sand scoop?

Datsik

Im welding up my own sand scoop and I've heard a lot of people saying they don't like the 90° angled ones so i was thinking 70° would be perfect. Does that sound about right?

There was recently a big scoop fight so I guess folks are timid to chime in. :laughing:

I like the 90 degree because often I'm hunting around docks and along the drop off in lakes and I like to be able to pull targets to me then scoop them.

I can see where the angle scoop would be easier to work with in the open water though.

I love my 720i scoop which has a 20 degree angle. This is the most comfortable I have used.

In this pic you can see how the angle allows for you to keep your back straight while being able to get a good angle to push the scoop in.

247720_10152179556815635_1568734054_n.jpg

I love my 720i scoop which has a 20 degree angle. This is the most comfortable I have used.

In this pic you can see how the angle allows for you to keep your back straight while being able to get a good angle to push the scoop in.

247720_10152179556815635_1568734054_n.jpg

Well depending on how you look a it, i would say thats actually a 70° angle because the standard is 90°. But if your saying the standard 90° scoop is 0° to you then I suppose it is 20°. Am i right?

There was recently a big scoop fight so I guess folks are timid to chime in. :laughing:

I like the 90 degree because often I'm hunting around docks and along the drop off in lakes and I like to be able to pull targets to me then scoop them.

I can see where the angle scoop would be easier to work with in the open water though.

Im just making this one out of mild steel about 1/8" and ill be using it in freshwater up to 3 ft deep mostly maybe 4

A lot of it is up to personal preference. Some like a 90 degree, some like 70 degree. Some scoops use a compound curved handle.

I would suggest doing a mock-up and see what YOU like best.

Im welding up my own sand scoop and I've heard a lot of people saying they don't like the 90° angled ones so i was thinking 70° would be perfect. Does that sound about right?

Its personal preference... lots like 90 degree and lots like 20 degree... why not make one of each :yes:

Don't make it 90 degrees it is uncomfortable digging with it. The angled pics posted above work great! Just my opinion.

I like

The 20 degree the best,but also the 90 sometime's,if you notice i have the angle in the Handle,on the hybrids,if i want to switch up to a 90 degree, i can change to a strait handle with ease,having this type of set up,that the angle is not built into the scoop,but in the handle,well suit's my need's,happy hunting Earl

Attachments

• P1000134.JPG
    P1000134.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,034
Ok thanks everyone i originally though of doing a 70° angle just because the 90s look like theyd be frustrating to use so ill go with my natural instinct. If i dont like it ill make a 90

Making my own i tack weld a plate on it and try it.An exact angle depends on your height.90 degree is used more by older hunters.Back in the seventees they'd 90 a shovel and drill holes in it.They were used to it for 30 years.For the deep stuff and in water a 90 is a PITA.If you are chest deep to use a 90 in a deep hole you have to lean over and stick your head underwater.A 70 degree you can stand on top of it and jump down to push it in the hard pack.A 90 you can forget that unless a friend holds the handle.I think last scoop i made was 68 degrees?

Its going to depend on where you intend to use it. I personally like both angles each has and advantage. For deep water i prefer and angled scoop. Because out there deep you have to lean forward and just cant get the right angle to get it in especially to get a good foot plant. around waist deep or shallower the 90 really keeps the target in the bucket best when bringing it up and in the wet/dry sand it just dont matter. I say its personal preference until you hit the deep water... otherwise the 90 keeps the target in the bucket best. Make sure you put good welds on the top front corner.... thats the weak point because they flex. id also go with NO holes on the top. Adds a little weight but they just arent need for sand removal and really strengthens the weak area.

Dew

Just a design note that may help anyone who is thinking about designing or building a scoop.

I made this sketch to show the two basic ways a handle is attached to the head of the scoop...

scoopdesign.jpg

In the top drawing the handle passes through the top part of the scoop and is welded at the top, along the back, and to the bottom plate.
This transfers the load more directly on the end section of the handle. And reduces the flex from the sheet metal head of the scoop.

In the bottom drawing the handle is attached to the top plate of the head and braces go from the front edge of the plate to the handle.
Using this method, it puts more of the load on the top of the sheet metal head which will cause more flexing between the handle and the head of the scoop. The more flexing you have the sooner the metal will fail at some point.

The top design is 2 to 3 times stronger than the bottom design depending on the gauge metal used in the parts.

Using clamps to attach the handle to the head will become loose over time and may not be the best method.
If you use two or more different metals on a scoop this will setup corrosion between the metals. In water you will have the same effect as a battery and the weaker of the two metals will be the one to corrode or rust first.

Back
Top Bottom