Dilema

huntingsc

There is a piece of land on the corner of a field that I would really like to detect. My grandmother lived there sixty-six years ago and her father is said to have buried around $4,000 (in both coins and bills) on the property. Personally, I don't think the money is still there, but I would still like to find things that may have belonged to my grandmother. The house is no longer there, but the ruins are. My mom and I walked it today, and she really wanted to hunt it, but I felt bad not getting permission. We had hoped to find the owner's house, but there are no houses anywhere near the field. My question is how can I go about finding out the owner, by using tax maps or the like, if I don't know the physical address of the house. I hope this makes sense!

Search online by county and gis

Such as my county "hanover county gis"

Then on that website i click view map and find it on the map based on the roads and etc..then click on it to get details of who owns it..etc.

http://www.hanovercountygis.org/

Maybe your county has one or something like it

With your background story (leaving out the possible buried cash) but since family used to live there and it's just a field. That should help gain their approval.

Just a little update. I've found the owners but they live out of state. I've tried calling, but I haven't gotten an answer. I'm going to try again later today and hopefully I'll get permission to hunt it!

Update!

So we finally got permission to hunt the place and we even talked to a family member who knew the house well, and gave some ideas about where my great-grandfather may have buried something. The bad news is that at some point the house burned down, and all we found today was melted glass and sheet after sheet of tin roofing buried under several layers of bricks. It was nearly impossible to detect anything without pulling up sheet after sheet of tin. I'm not sure where we are going to go from here. We'll probably go out there one more time, but until that roofing is gone I just don't see a prosperous hunt happening. :(

Based on your history with the place I'd be inclined to stay until they drove me off.

Haha, we were told to go out whenever we'd like! And there is an old tree away from the house, but we didn't make it that far. We had hoped to go out there today and find some items that may have belonged to her family which would have been around the house. It seems that will be a bust. Next time we go we're going to fan out away from the house and try another area. I wish we could have done more today, but by the time we got there we only had about an hour to hunt.

I'd head towards the tree. If you know where the actual house stood, detect a path from the house to the tree, I'm willing to bet you'll find something in the ground worth discovering.

HI, I FOUND a place that is about the same here and plan on following trails first and look for anything that maybe a marker, like big old trees rock that stick out you know something that would remind the old guy to look for the burried treasure, good luck hope you find something cool.

Back
Top Bottom