At what angle?

shot410ga

At what angle do you hold your MD in front of your body. I know this sounds silly, but I have it stuck out far in front of me (last notch on the adjustment, Fisher F4), and my arm starts hurting in just a few minutes. any suggestions?

The longer you have the shaft and the farther out in front of you the coil is when you swing it , the more effort its gonna take to do so and the more strain you have on your wrist and arm. I think for the most part its just a personal preference decision , but get the coil out away from your feet but shorten up the shaft as much as you comfortably can. Do dome experimenting with it until you find the best angle for you.

I usually have mine extended to the last notch but I'm 6'1". The angle isn't what matters so much as keeping the coil parallel to the ground. If it wears you out, shorten the shaft to where it's closer to your body. You just won't have as wide a sweep.

Swing your loop just a couple of inches in front of your toes. The closer to straight down your loop is, the less weight on your arm.

Practical demonstration of this concept:

Get two large books about the same weight. Put one in each hand. Hold the left one straight out to your side, and the right one straight down by your side. Wait one minute. See which arm feels like it is going to fall off.

I'm 6'4", and have mine fully extended. Wishing it was longer, but does alright. Don't think adding length would make much difference, the whole thing weighs less than 3 lbs.

i have mine right at my feet sometimes hit it on my toes
i can swing the etrac with the x-1 all day
but I'm a man:sarcastic:

Swing your loop just a couple of inches in front of your toes. The closer to straight down your loop is, the less weight on your arm.

Practical demonstration of this concept:

Get two large books about the same weight. Put one in each hand. Hold the left one straight out to your side, and the right one straight down by your side. Wait one minute. See which arm feels like it is going to fall off.

:exactly:

Like everyone said its what feels comfortable to you. But, the further away from you the heavier it will feel and there will be more fatigue. I don't know about bouncing it on your toes but just past your toes should do fine.

I haven't noticed that I vary my angle while swinging. However, it took me a while to find the perfect combination of angle and shaft length for comfort

I swing with mine fully extended. Its comfortable and doesn't wear my arm down at all. I tried shortening it up and that was a lot more uncomfortable for me anyway. I will stick to fully extended. After 6-8 hour days my arm feels the same. Guess its all on personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom