What am I doing wrong? I'm not finding anything at all old.

Oh I know there aren't any curb strips. I love those yards. I've got a ton going on the next 6-8 weeks but I will hook up with you at some point. I am taking tomorrow off though and hunting the beach.

Tomorrow seems like it would be a good day to do it, given the weather. I'm going to have to try beaches some time too, when I get more time. But I'll definitely make time when it works out for you to be able to meet up!

Went out and hit that park again for another hour (been doing my yard and a couple of neighbors right by me). Finally found a wheat penny. It's the oldest coin I've found with an MD, 1951. Nothing amazing, but I'll take it.

Here we go. Found a 1943 washington quarter in a neighborhood church yard. Actually a part of a block where three churches were next to each other, but only two are still there and neither functions as a regular church. It was four or five inches down, and the VDI was just above a regular quarter. I made sure to scour the rest of the yard, and pulled out a dozen more quarters, but no others were silver. Thanks for all the pointers!

Here we go. Found a 1943 washington quarter in a neighborhood church yard. Actually a part of a block where three churches were next to each other, but only two are still there and neither functions as a regular church. It was four or five inches down, and the VDI was just above a regular quarter. I made sure to scour the rest of the yard, and pulled out a dozen more quarters, but no others were silver. Thanks for all the pointers!

Congrats !!!!

.....don't feel bad it was only one, I think most of finding old coins is location because you can't find what ain't there, also how much the area might have already been hunted in the past, newer coins might get replenished occasionally, but older coins much much less likely. It took me to last summer to find my first silver, a Merc, and that was very deep in a park dating back to the 1700's.

Way to go Jordan. That's great to hear. It's very rewarding to dig that first one.

Oh also I've been hitting curb strips near me. They either have lots of trash or lots of nothing. I think I'm targeting the right location/age. This is what the kind of stuff I'm after looks like (attached). Seem right?

right as rain! huge trees help! digging everything helps even more! start doing it! hunt curb strips all the time! dig it all!..worth it!..just sayin'

(h.h!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom