Equinox/Coiltek coils.

Doug

Elite Member
The shops here in the UK had their first delivery of the Coiltek range of coils for the Equinox yesterday.

I preordered the 10" X 5" elliptical when they were announced and took delivery of it today.

I was looking for a coil to be able to get in-between the rows of rape and maize stubble at harvest time.

Tomorrow if the weather holds off I can try it out in local field which is still in maize stubble.

Stock 11 inch coil on the left.
DHiMwDJ.jpg

Thanks for the updater, wonder if the US received them also. Dealer says when they come we will know.

Back from the maize stubble field after trying out the new Coiltek 10 X 5 coil.(Equinox)

Goodness me I did not realise just how big the field was and just how small the new coil is!

Anyway onwards and upwards.

Nothing out of the ordinary on the finds front I would not have found with the stock 11 inch coil although it was a lot easier once I got into the the thicker maize stubble, mid photograph you can see where it starts.

Old penny, small buckle, harness ring, small pieces of lead and lots of bullets, this field was part of a military range early 1900's.

I thought I had a ring but turned out to be a plumbers olive!

Two thing comes to mind with the new coil, normally I run at 18 sensitivity but due to all the background noise fro the iron it went down to 16. Be aware if you put the machine down it may/will fall over due to the coil having no flat section on the bottom.

Thanks for reading so far.....Doug.

PS There was an early Bronze Age house at the far middle of the photograph. Around the wood pole.

7L8yqSy.jpg

I thought everyone said you could run these coils with higher sensitivity?

Possibly to run to this coil with a higher sensitivity the problem is in these fields have seen human activity/occupation for over 2+ thousand years.

This means there is a lot of iron which I have found turning the sensitivity down from my normal setting of 18 down to 16 reduces the background noise which makes it a bit easier on the ears.

It is a personal choice nothing more or less.

A "moustache" sword or dagger chape (Bronze Age 500 BC – 332 BC) found in this field in 2010.

WjGo5ei.jpg

The mount ears appear just as thin.

Yes Martin that has already been noted.

The normal coil lugs/ears stiffeners for the stock coil will not fit this coil.

Over the next few days I'm passing the coil over to a friend who manufactures various 3D printed accessories for machines.

Will update this post at a later date.

Possibly to run to this coil with a higher sensitivity the problem is in these fields have seen human activity/occupation for over 2+ thousand years.

This means there is a lot of iron which I have found turning the sensitivity down from my normal setting of 18 down to 16 reduces the background noise which makes it a bit easier on the ears.

It is a personal choice nothing more or less.

A "moustache" sword or dagger chape (Bronze Age 500 BC – 332 BC) found in this field in 2010.

WjGo5ei.jpg

Ah okay makes sense! I preordered one, so I’m hopeful it will be a successful coil. I’ve been curious about depth compared to 6”. And nice find!!

Yes Martin that has already been noted.

The normal coil lugs/ears stiffeners for the stock coil will not fit this coil.

Over the next few days I'm passing the coil over to a friend who manufactures various 3D printed accessories for machines.

Will update this post at a later date.

I can imagine that a more slender 10" design, will torque more upon hitting stubble at the ends. It just seemed logical that ML would beef up the ears on a new release. I'm not thinking of getting one. That coil will have to prove itself for the price.

Ah okay makes sense! I preordered one, so I’m hopeful it will be a successful coil. I’ve been curious about depth compared to 6”. And nice find!!

Good morning.

I have no experience of the 6 inch coil so I really can't comment.

The supplied bolt I did not even try to use but used a new Minelab bolt.

I can imagine that a more slender 10" design, will torque more upon hitting stubble at the ends. It just seemed logical that ML would beef up the ears on a new release. I'm not thinking of getting one. That coil will have to prove itself for the price.

I agree with you on the price. While I'd LOVE to get one of these, for 219, that's a lot of money for me to drop on something until there are some reviews.

Back
Top Bottom