• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Decent finds at a State Park

Boones

Hey Everyone....I hit a State Park over a dozen times this year (3-4 hours per visit). I was able to get into a few 'nooks and crannies' that were not hit by other detectorists (just got lucky). I'm still not done with this place, but here's a pic of the keepers so far. Sorry for the lack of detail in the photo, but most of it is pretty easy to see. Across the top, is all the newer coins: mem. pennies, dimes, nicks & quarters. Under the quarters is a pile of wheat backs and then the silver coins. The larger dark coin, under the wheat backs, is an 1849 large cent in terrible condition. My favorites are the '46 walking liberty half and the silver table spoon that is in the center. It reads "little jack horner" and shows a cute detailed engraving of him. It's marked 'sterling' on the back....I think it's pretty cool. Thanks for looking and I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!!

Attachments

• State Park finds.jpg
    State Park finds.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 461
Awesome Silvers!!! What state are You in? They’ll arrest You for hunting in state parks in both Ok & Mo, if I remember correctly. Congrats!!!

.... Thanks for looking ...

Great display piles Boones !

....What state are You in? They’ll arrest You for hunting in state parks in both Ok & Mo, if I remember correctly....

I believe he's in New York state.

As for OK and MO, the FMDAC state-by-state website list disagrees with your assessment. So : Where are you getting this information ? :?:

Also, be honest : Have you EVER heard of someone "arrested" for hunting in OK or MO state parks ? (barring someone being obnoxious & snooping at obvious historic sensitive monuments ??) Got some examples ?

Michigan's State Park website shows a short list of parks where there is no detecting allowed. For each of the other parks there is a clear map showing where it is and isn't permitted.
Usually the off limits areas are sensitive dune areas and individual campsites.

But i have never seen signage AT any park mentioning detecting and would likely just go ahead discretely until informed otherwise.

Sweet pile of goods there!

Great work at finding such a variety of good finds, especially with the big silver ...congrats!

Awesome Silvers!!! What state are You in? They’ll arrest You for hunting in state parks in both Ok & Mo, if I remember correctly. Congrats!!!

As for OK and MO, the FMDAC state-by-state website list disagrees with your assessment. So : Where are you getting this information ? :?:

Also, be honest : Have you EVER heard of someone "arrested" for hunting in OK or MO state parks ? (barring someone being obnoxious & snooping at obvious historic sensitive monuments ??) Got some examples ?

A great haul, congrats!

Michigan's State Park website shows a short list of parks where there is no detecting allowed. For each of the other parks there is a clear map showing where it is and isn't permitted.

But i have never seen signage AT any park mentioning detecting and would likely just go ahead discretely until informed otherwise.
Hey Everyone, thanks for checking out my post and for all the nice comments. YES Tom, you're correct, I'm in New York. Had to buy a permit (I think $20), and you can only detect Jan. 1 - May 15 and then again the day after Labor Day until Dec. 31.....so I've been hitting it hard the last few weeks. Also, you can only go to certain areas and they watch closely. I've been approached several times by the Park Police to see if I have a permit. My 25+ year-old WHITES 6000 Di Pro SL keeps finding stuff, so I stick with it:D.

Nice pile if finds. Congrats on all the silver and other goodies. Here in Pa. I believe we need permits to hunt in the state parks also. Good luck. Mark

....YES Tom, you're correct, I'm in New York. Had to buy a permit.....

....Here in Pa. I believe we need permits to hunt in the state parks also. ...

And I have a sneaking suspicion why those 2 locations evolved to be that way. Ie.: I have a suspicion why anyone there ever dreamed up "permits", in-the-first place. Care to take a guess ? :roll:

After moving here to Indiana I learned the hard way about state parks....smiles. I was hunting in a tot lot that happened to be on state park property and the not to friendly DNR officers who approached me were kind enough to educate me as to Indiana state park laws. I informed them that I was a new resident in the community and was unaware that I was in a state park. I asked them about MD'n in the tot lot and they said it was not allowed on any property in the park. They said it was against state code to remove any relic or historical artifacts from the park, I asked them how many relics or artifacts do they believe were in the tot lot, they wrote me a warning citation....EOS.

HDD

BTW .....those are some really nice finds there.

Watch for those tricky laws. Here is the Kansas one.

I must warn you that while there are no laws that prohibit metal detecting on state land in Kansas there are laws which prohibit digging holes on state land.

Texas doesn't allow metal detecting in state parks.

Texas doesn't allow metal detecting in state parks.

..... and they said it was not allowed on any property in the park. ...

And I have a sneaking suspicion of why they are "so appraised" and so alert to this "horrible evil" of md'ing, that .... they even need to shoo md'rs away from tot lots. Care to guess how that evolved ?

Watch for those tricky laws. Here is the Kansas one.: " I must warn you that while there are no laws that prohibit metal detecting on state land in Kansas there are laws which prohibit digging holes on state land "

Hey, don't stop there ! I got news for you : There's not a speck of public land in the entire USA, at any level (city, county, state, fed) that .... likewise,... doesn't have some boiler plate verbiage that forbids "digging holes". Guaranteed ! It is in various forms of wording : Alter, deface, destroy, dig, damage, etc....

Now did anyone *really care* if the md'r dug a coin in the park ? OF COURSE NOT. But hey, you asked, so : They're gonna think long & hard, pass your "pressing question" up and down the chain of command, till presto : Someone envisions geeks with shovels leaving holes, and will tell you "no".

And to make matters worse, when some isolated "no" like this gets on forums, and passed back and forth between md'rs, guess what they do next ? Yup, they rush to "clarify" this, and swat EVEN MORE hornet's nests. Doh ! :roll:

So if some md'r got that cute answer in your cut & paste, then .... Great ! Aren't we glad we asked ? And now we are all victims of the old "No one cared .... UNTIL you asked " psychology :dash2:

And ironically, it's quotes like that, and posts like this (where timid md'rs get wind that it's "not allowed" some faraway place) that merely makes it become a self-fulfilling landslide, EVEN MORE. Because when they read such things, guess what they ? Yup : They send emails , letters, make phone calls, and show up at kiosks asking "can I detect ?"

See how this works ? It's as if we are our own worst enemies :(

Also, be honest : Have you EVER heard of someone "arrested" for hunting in OK or MO state parks ? (barring someone being obnoxious & snooping at obvious historic sensitive monuments ??) Got some examples ?[/QUOTE

I’ve heard this info and never followed through with asking directly with a park Ranger Station. Although on any Core maintained land in Missouri,
You have to sign and have a permit directly from the Core of a engineers. If caught detecting on any Core maintained land they can fine You each time You’re caught without a permit, and they can confiscate Your machine after the third time. You have to return anything valued at $100 or more with a permit that You sign.
As for State Parks, Roaring River is one in particular that I have been told to leave by a Park Ranger. And he clearly said that detecting is not allowed in the Park. I will check into this further.

I had asked it you had any examples of arrest , for either of those 2 state's state parks. And you say :

....I’ve heard this info and never followed through .....

So I will take this to mean that, no, you don't know of any examples. But you say you've "heard" of it. Well sure ! And if you were to have asked THOSE sources : "got any examples ?", they TOO will say "no, but I heard of it" . And so forth to eternal regression.

I see/hear this all the time : Dire warning and talk of impending jail, confiscation, arrest, blah blah. Heck, for even "having a detector in your trunk" blah blah. But when you ask the persons for any examples of this actually ever happening, then : You hear the sounds of crickets.

Oh sure, if someone is night sneaking obvious off-limits spots, or someone being obnoxious who can't take a warning, etc... But for routine turfed parks ? For tot lots ? For a beach ? You hear of some "scrams", sure. But jail, arrest, confiscation, etc.... ?

I'm not saying to throw caution to the wind. But .... just sayin' don't go to the other extreme and think we need to grovel everywhere, or can't detect without someone's "express blessing and red carpets rolled out". I am convinced that the average passerby and authority doesn't give 2 sh#ts about a guy with a detector. Just avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments, and the odds are, no one cares less about you and I.

Again I don’t have the direct literature of arrests, but again, I have heard of people being arrested for metal detecting at Pea Ridge National Military Park and others. But there and again, that’s a National and not a State Park, and just hearsay, so No, I don’t have direct proof of any arrests being made.
What I have been told about it being illegal from Park Rangers,etc., must have been just a Buffalo to scare Me off.
In No way am I trying to present false information. I’m just a little cautious and may need to just dig a lot deeper and take peoples accusations at face value. I do think the National Parks are protected, but I’m gonna do some checking on some State Parks. There are a couple I’d like to detect.
For Me in Missouri the waterways are a challenge because now they’ve lowered it to anything being valued at over $10 needs to be reported to the Core of Engineers via the permit You have to have to detect on waterways in Missouri.
Regardless of the dumb rules that are and are not, it’ll never keep Me from detecting😁 Happy Hunting!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom