• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What's the ring record in recent times?

LongJohnSilver1

Elite Member
I know nothing is going to be as good as say the 90's, but in recent times who's been the ring daddy?

I'm sitting on a pretty decent haul this year and I scored again today, and it got me wondering is 50 - 70 rings in a year a lot or a little?

I know nothing is going to be as good as say the 90's, but in recent times who's been the ring daddy?

I'm sitting on a pretty decent haul this year and I scored again today, and it got me wondering is 50 - 70 rings in a year a lot or a little?

That's a lot, not to many reach that.
Wonder how Joe Beechnut went this year.

A lot of variables. I'd say that is a good number for today's hunters. If you live in a well used beach area may be pretty common.

Yes, back in the 90s-2000s even us dirt diggers were reaping the rewards of first time hunting sites. Back then 4-5 rings per hunt were pretty common.

A lot of variables. I'd say that is a good number for today's hunters. If you live in a well used beach area may be pretty common.

Yes, back in the 90s-2000s even us dirt diggers were reaping the rewards of first time hunting sites. Back then 4-5 rings per hunt were pretty common.

Sadly some even count silicone rings and sucker rings they find eyeballing the ground. I will say i got a couple inland spots that will produce a lot of rings. But those spots are dangerous as can be so not many have ever detected there. I personally only count gold rings. Gold rings i think i'm at ten?

OBN when he hunted a lot more was averaging 120 to 137 gold rings a year..

When I first started hunting I was averaging over 50 gold rings a year for many years... once I got married, I couldn't hunt as much :lol: stay single... :yes:

I don't count silver or junk rings...

Last edited:
I’m at 48 so far for the year. 11 gold 12 silver and the rest are junkers. I primarily beach hunt, only 1 gold came from a park.I don’t count sucker rings or silicone either

Sadly some even count silicone rings and sucker rings they find eyeballing the ground... I personally only count gold rings. Gold rings i think i'm at ten?

I’m at 48 so far for the year. 11 gold 12 silver and the rest are junkers. I primarily beach hunt, only 1 gold came from a park.I don’t count sucker rings or silicone either

I only count gold and plat. Palladium too, if I ever found one.

Silver? Depending on weight, they might be worth $2-$10 melt. I keep them, but I don’t “count” them.

Junk rings are like corroded Felix pennies (sorry Felix). I don’t waste my time. Just throw them out with the rest of the TRASH.

I stopped counting somewhere after 400 when I started selling the gold & silver.

I have always looked at a ring as a ring no matter what material value it may, or may not, have. Like a picture that is made out of paper & cardboard, it isn't the material that gives it value. Most rings represent something personal that has been given. Even that 25¢ ring may have been received from someone special.

A ring is a ring in my books.

I have never found less than 50 pieces of gold , plat , pall , in a year. Except for this year. This includes rings , chains , earrings , etc. If I counted it all ( silver , copper , junkers , etc) it would be in the 100s.

I don't know about a count "in a year", but how about : A count "in a day" ?

I heard of a few stories of 12 to 15 gold rings, in a single hunt day, during the 1982-83 storms that raked the CA coast. AND THAT WAS BEFORE the advent of the ability to cherry pick to "skip high conductors". Doh ! (or, .... at least I never heard of anyone trying it with the primitive TID available at the time)

I don't know about a count "in a year", but how about : A count "in a day" ?

I heard of a few stories of 12 to 15 gold rings, in a single hunt day, during the 1982-83 storms that raked the CA coast. AND THAT WAS BEFORE the advent of the ability to cherry pick to "skip high conductors". Doh ! (or, .... at least I never heard of anyone trying it with the primitive TID available at the time)
Not to brag , but I will , lol. If you go back to the Family Friendly section , "what's in your name" , page #26. You will read about my record hunt on rings only. In 3 hours. But the author is looking for "recent hunts" I think. Not from 40 years ago.

Not to brag , but I will .....

13 gold rings in 3 hrs. ?? HOW BORING ! :laughing:

But seriously now, my max has only ever been 5 in a day (our north-central CA ring ratios aren't as good as your warm-water beaches). But I *have* seen, many times, target counts as thick as you describe . Ie.: "Beeps everywhere, as fast as you can dig them". And yes, those are definitely the "aha moments" :cool3:

As far as my best hunt, 8 gold in 5 hours, (2020) and some may ask why only 5 hours..the tides chased me in..

All time record I know of is this dude, but it was many many years ago..51 in 5 hours, scooping then using a sifter.

Attachments

• 20200118_004047.jpg
    20200118_004047.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 338
  • fink gold.jpg
    fink gold.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 326
I believe that there are several FMDF members who seem to consistently find over 50 pieces of gold jewelry every year. I probably won't hit that mark in 2022 but I did have a hurricane aided week and a half when I found 12 gold rings plus 11 other miscellaneous gold items.
picture.php

When I hear the words "Ring Daddy", OBN always comes to mind. :yes:;)

Ring Daddy, Only gold rings counted

This year, only 6 gold rings. Been out maybe 25 times? Lots going on that needs my attention, can't seem to get back into hunting this year. Maybe next year.

Last year I did 45 gold rings (2021) Year of my accident, got in maybe 7 months of hunting

2020 .... 83 .........

2019 .....125? Getting old forget this stuff if not recorded. It was my best in weight..21.2 ounces...

Ring Daddy over the years

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 320
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 329
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 322
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 321
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 322
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 327
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 319
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 321
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 319
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 315
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
Poor Joe... no more ring daddy page... it devastated him keeping him up at all hours of the night :lol:

It did give me the drive to research and get out. Some reason this year, no testosterones left....:shock::lol:

As far as my best hunt, 8 gold in 5 hours, (2020) and some may ask why only 5 hours..the tides chased me in..

All time record I know of is this dude, but it was many many years ago..51 in 5 hours, scooping then using a sifter.

Back in the day talking to oldtimers when I first started they told me if they didn't find 50 gold in a weekend their hunt was a failure...

I remember a old guy sitting on a bench at a beach further north from me... he saw me going in with my PI PRO he told me he and his friends cleaned out the beach I was at... he sat and watched me dig holes... for the entire time I was there... after I quit I showed him the gold and silver he missed with his detectors including the Excal Sword... my best day was at that beach I found a washed out area all rocks about 50 feet in diameter I ended the hunt with 7 gold while my buddies in the water were all skunked... my best hunt was 8 gold rings in one hunt around the swim platform I found... those days are gone for good... I'm happy with one gold these days... anything over that is a bonus...:yes:

It really depends on how much time you spent to obtain the rings. I mean, if in 1990 you spent 4,000 hours to get 70 rings, but in 2022 you spent 100 hours to get 50 rings ... I say 2022 is better than hunting in the past.

I think what should really be measured is RINGS PER HOUR or FINDS PER HOUR. The retired person that hunts 10 hours a day, 7 days a week is likely going to find more than someone who can only hunt twice a month and does so regardless of conditions being optimal.

Some of my estimated stats are as follows:
10 rings
350 hours
Of those rings, zero gold and only one silver

22 rings and 13 other pieces of jewelry
85 hours
Of those rings, 3 gold, 3 silver. Other jewelry was gold, silver or G/P

For me, a decade of learning has increased my productivity and efficiency.

ee0c2fd4da4b9bf6e59affbe198f0973.jpg

Back
Top Bottom