First time I tried 3 tones instead of the multiple tone. VDI change.

tinsmith

Elite Member
Having my bi annual frustration with this. Using my 705. I've never taken this machine out of multi tones. I couldn't do it. I got lost on my machine. The VDI's dropped way down. I was swinging over a new twist off that was reading a 30. They always read high, 46 or 48. So I switched back to multi and higher tone higher VDI, back to high 40's. I had no coins on me
about two hundred yards around the back of a lake so I test on a head stamp, brass reading 28 the switch off multi tone and reads 8.
Im so stupid. Detecting 5 years and still do poorly now this. I'm still having learning issues on my only detector! If I changed to 3-4 tones on this MD I'd have to relearn numbers. Im going to try air tests with the 10.5" mid khz coil. Now that's another thing, so many people said that Xterra coil, the 10.5 - 7.5 khz. Is the best for an Xterra. Supposed to read the most accurate VDI and hit coins at 10". I've tried it for a couple years. Just a little clad. Period. the only coil I've had a little better results is the 6" DD 3 khz.
Back to the other issue. I was using the 5x10 18.75 khz coil that does bounce a little but this change in VDI I didn't realize the 705 did this as you change tones. All the absolute poor hunts now im thinking Im in the wrong hobby. maybe Im just not good enough at this. Can't believe I have to go back to the manual and read. :?::mad:

TS....you said something VERY telling that is a reason that you are not seeing the results you want to see...”two hundred yards around the back of a lake”....WHY? What’s back there, what WAS back there and what have you found back there?
I don’t know if the X-terra normalizes the VDI to the type of coil used, but I would think it would....maybe there is a “normalize” setting or something?
If you have 10 different coils and STILL can’t make the thing produce, this to me is a SITE problem. Get on some ball fields or athletic fields when you can to just get back in the swing of things with some clad. OLD ball fields and the immediate surroundings have ALWAYS produced some degree of silver coins for me and those I hunt with. But we are also using the FBS/FBS2 machines which use simultaneous multi frequencies that handle bad dirt/mineralization better, thus making VDI at depth more accurate. Even the newer Equinox uses Multi Freq, so perhaps it’s something to look at if you can’t get yours to do what you want it to.

My numbers always stay the same regardless of how many tone i select. Of course the tones will change but numbers never change.

TS....you said something VERY telling that is a reason that you are not seeing the results you want to see...”two hundred yards around the back of a lake”....WHY? What’s back there, what WAS back there and what have you found back there?
I don’t know if the X-terra normalizes the VDI to the type of coil used, but I would think it would....maybe there is a “normalize” setting or something?
If you have 10 different coils and STILL can’t make the thing produce, this to me is a SITE problem. Get on some ball fields or athletic fields when you can to just get back in the swing of things with some clad. OLD ball fields and the immediate surroundings have ALWAYS produced some degree of silver coins for me and those I hunt with. But we are also using the FBS/FBS2 machines which use simultaneous multi frequencies that handle bad dirt/mineralization better, thus making VDI at depth more accurate. Even the newer Equinox uses Multi Freq, so perhaps it’s something to look at if you can’t get yours to do what you want it to.

Thanks mo and IDX, Good points. The back of the lake had an old swimming area you can see only in the 1934 ariel maps. Even showed the path coming from long gone farms. Few yrs ago I dug a merc and 7-8 wheaties there and was always going to go back with the higher freq coil and try for old gold and whatever. Something is going on with the changing VDI's though. Need to test.
You said it. Was another thing I was wondering. Someone's been hitting my areas with FBS. And now I'm thinking this my be over. More expensive machines required. The whole thing feels like a sales pitch for a Nox. Kidding. Thanks guys. I appreciate your comments. Not suggesting your trying to sell better machines. I was very frustrated when I wrote. Something is wrong with that detector. Changing VDI like that. When I got that 10.5 inch coil. I hunted a park in Maine that once had an old school house on the site Pre 1960's by far. Large area behind where the old school house was where kids played ball n whatever. I hunted 4 hrs. For 63 cents clad. That's just not right. So sites? I've tried some decent OLD sites. I go slow n low. You hit it right on the head. Guys have been there FBS machines just a blazing. I was thinking my next machine is due!!! Well another couple months maybe. I've been impressed with the Simplex+. Now maybe I'm back to the Vanquish 540. Thanks.

Last edited:
You are not going to dig 50 or more coins every time you go detecting. A few years back a friend and i went to a local beach. I was swinging a BBS machine and he was swinging a PI machine. In Five Hours I found 38 cents and he did about the same. No machine will find stuff that is not there. The next day at a different beach I found a $1000. Ring. It has to be there for us to find it.

George has a really good point... we can’t expect to find what isn’t there. An old swimming hole, now THAT is a good reason to go back there! While there might indeed be a flaw with your machine, a different one guarantees you nothing. Most machines will see most targets the others will, it’s just limitations of physics. But no machine will see what’s not there, so confirm yours is or isn’t working properly and go from there. When it comes to DEEP desirable targets, multi frequency has been known to out pace the single freq setups though, and this is something I’ve seen firsthand without a doubt.

Back
Top Bottom