Garrett 400 newbie

Do you play with the frequency at all when your out at the beach?

The Ace 400 was my first metal detector - I used it for my first year of detecting, and I enjoyed the machine very much. The frequency adjust feature (F1 through F4) on the Ace 400 is only intended to help minimize EMI interference either from outside electrical sources or from another detector. It does not significantly change the operating frequency of the detector - the machine is always essentially a 10kHz detector.

I dont notch out anything especially in jewelry mode because those trash signals are the gold signals. I have only found two gold rings and I thought they were both trash until I dug them. Small ring came in solid 40 my brain went pulltab the big ring at a basketball court was jumping around 50-60. I thought it was gonna be more junk. I was very suprised.
The Ace 400 is really good at missing bottle caps. Jumpy VDI and the iron grunt. But beware sometimes that will fool you with the iron grunt and its a coin surrounded by iron. Raise coil. Wiggle coil. Heel toe. Usually if the VDI stays solid it's something good. Takes practice.

that's what i've found, if the big number stays within a number or two and the little box holds and doesnt move then it's a solid target something to dig up

OP, have you had a chance to get out with your 400 anymore this winter?

I have only been out three short times.

But pin pointing works like my Garrett 250 does. There is an old video on youtube about how to "detune" when you pin point that really helps to narrow it down.

I have been running mostly without the "grunt" on. Then turn it on when I am deciding what to dig and what to leave. For me this is still a big learning curve, I'm digging a lot of trash to see if I'm right or not...

I could see it handy for the first time through a place, on a quick trip.

I hunt mostly alone, I don't know if I will ever use the freq. shift. Never seemed to need it with the 250, but I plan to hunt a lot more spots with this ACE 400.

It will be a little bit of a learning curve on the signals but at beaches I am in dig everything mode. The foil signals can be gold as it is usually lower numbers and all up and down the lower spectrum. Steady repeatable signals are the key. They may be a bit scratchy at first but usually clean up after the first scoop of sand. The Ace will be fine on the dry sand. Remember to keep the head dry. The cover from Garrett does a pretty good job keeping it clean, but you can also wrap it in a sandwich bag.

OP, have you had a chance to get out with your 400 anymore this winter?

I have only been out three short times.

But pin pointing works like my Garrett 250 does. There is an old video on youtube about how to "detune" when you pin point that really helps to narrow it down.

I have been running mostly without the "grunt" on. Then turn it on when I am deciding what to dig and what to leave. For me this is still a big learning curve, I'm digging a lot of trash to see if I'm right or not...

I could see it handy for the first time through a place, on a quick trip.

I hunt mostly alone, I don't know if I will ever use the freq. shift. Never seemed to need it with the 250, but I plan to hunt a lot more spots with this ACE 400.

I've been using it a bunch this winter, its been a pretty mild winter so i hit the beach and some parks. Digging a lot of clad hitting in the 80s and sometimes low 90s. The grunt noise drives me crazy, is there a way to not hear it? Why am i hearing it at all?

Back
Top Bottom