Not the usual 1918 SLQ, but never-the-less a ringer for sure

Leave-No-Coins-Behind

Forum Supporter
I have not been hunting for over a week due to flooding in my basement. The area I live had like 8" of flash flood rain and it was too much for the old sump pump. The good news is things are getting back to normal slowly.

Now back to business, today, I went to school that is under major re-building construction. There was one section of the school property that was not fenced off, so I worked it. I was finding the usual bread and butter clad but the bucket lister surprise for me was a deep 1918 SLQ coin ring. It was a solid 9" down and is probably the deepest ring I have ever recovered. It was packed with dirt so hard that I had to use a screw driver to clean the center out.

Overall, a decent day. Thanks for reading my post!

Attachments

• IMG_2055.jpg
    IMG_2055.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 568
  • IMG_2057.jpg
    IMG_2057.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_2058.jpg
    IMG_2058.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 533
  • IMG_2059.jpg
    IMG_2059.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 525
  • IMG_2062.jpg
    IMG_2062.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 524
9" deep for a silver ring of that size is very commendable ! Good show.

Thank you!

9" deep for a silver ring of that size is very commendable ! Good show.

Thanks Tom_in_CA! You are right, but then again, any good target 9" or more is a success story, It was a nice surprise to me for sure.

Wow really cool! What is the green thing on the ring a stone? Congrats JAK!

Thanks cellrdwellr! The coin was probably AU when the ring was made. The lettering inside is very clean, crisp especially including the date. After cleaning most of the green patina off, it appears/perhaps that the overlay was some type of a copper coin figure/image or so that was cut out and then silver soldered onto the ring.

Thank you!

That's pretty cool. Nice diggin' man!

North Texas Metal Detecting
www.youtube.com/northtexasmetaldetecting

Thanks N.T.M.D.! Every now-and-then I get lucky. Hopefully, I still have some more luck within me.

That is one thing I have always wanted to find!

Thanks matmit! That is what I enjoy about this hobby, we never know what our next find will be.

That Stander Coin Ring is a cherished prize for sure John. Congrats on that a another very nice clad take. Trapper

Thanks Trapper! I have to give a lot of credit to those ring craftsmans' who are able to hammer out those coins into rings. I think using the large coil sure helped in finding this ring. PS. Glad to see you posting again while recovering from your accident.

Wow, what a unique and cool find! Congrats on the Stander Coin Ring!

Thanks LovetheShiny! With all the silver you find, I think you are about due for one (or more) of these rings. But the true beauty about this ring is that it strongly appears to be of a vintage era.

Welcome to the coin ring club which I just joined about a month ago😀👍

Thanks metaladdict! I now know how special these rings are. But, now I have to work on our special club handshake...lol.

That is pretty cool. Whoever made it did you a favor by keeping the date visible. Are you sure it is an slq though or could it be a walker?

Sweet ring and nice hunt. Glad you can see what the coin is and the date of it. I have found coin rings that I will never know what they were made from.

Thank you!

That is pretty cool. Whoever made it did you a favor by keeping the date visible. Are you sure it is an slq though or could it be a walker?

Thanks Gimmie! I can see what you are saying, at first I thought it was a half too. I can see partial the letters/word "QU.." as in quarter and that why I went with the SLQ. I can see how someone lost it...I dropped it several times while holding it while looking under the loupe trying to read some more probably from the size of it. Again, I much appreciate your comments.

Sweet ring and nice hunt. Glad you can see what the coin is and the date of it. I have found coin rings that I will never know what they were made from.

Thanks Jamflicker! The best part of this coin ring is the date for sure. Those ring makers sure do have talent for making these rings. This is my first coin ring.

Back
Top Bottom