EQ 800 Headphones - Eisenhower vs. Mal’s

Ra1der5

Athletic Supporter
Forum Supporter
I had an opportunity to compare Tony Eisenhower’s (TE) waterproof headphones to Mal’s SurffoneS for the Equinox 800. My thoughts below:

F8E45E34-6DE0-4248-8117-5ABF1A290AC6.jpeg

TE Waterproof Headphones:

Mal’s SurffoneS:

* SurffoneS use the dark blue MSA Left/Right Medium ear muffs (Noise Reduction Rating 25). TE uses the white MSA Left/Right Low (NRR 21). The difference in ambient noise cancellation is HUGE. Part of the difference is likely because TE has drilled holes in the headphone cups to allow water to drain and this reduces the NRR.

* TE uses a straight headphone jack. SurffoneS use a 90° jack. I like the 90° jack for cable management, but this is a matter of preference.

* TE headphones are completely waterproof. The TE headphone jack has a waterproof gasket that is screwed into the EQ 800 for a water tight seal. The headphone connection for the SurffoneS just plugs in. It is not waterproof and could pop out of the EQ800 if given a good tug; however, the 90° jack reduces the chances of this happening.

* SurffoneS use a much thicker and more durable cable than TE. Mal’s cable also has redundant connections to the speakers in case one of the wires fails.

* TE headphones are lighter. This is primarily due to the weight of the cable on the SurffoneS.

* SurffoneS are made with better quality materials (see photo). The thicker cable and better protected connections to the earphone cups reduce opportunities for failure.

* The tones on the SurffoneS and TE headphones are about the same. If not for the difference in ambient noise, I imagine the volume would be about the same also.

* At the time of this writing, TE cost $175 including shipping to the lower 48. SurffoneS cost $133 including shipping from the UK.

The big differences between these two headphones is the quality of assembly and a choice between ambient noise cancellation and being waterproof. While on the beach, it’s very important to hear tones over the wind, waves, and rain. The ambient noise reduction of the SurffoneS is superior to the TE headphones. I do not intend to submerge my EQ800, so when I hunt in the rain, I will use the WM08 wireless module under my jacket. The quality of the SurffoneS assembly is noticeably better than TE. For $40 less, my choice was the SurffoneS, but if you absolutely need waterproof headphones, then TE is what you need.

Raider Regards,

R5

Thanks for the in-depth review.

As for your WMO8, I believe it is "line of sight" so putting it inside or under your jacket unless it is crystal clear, may not work.

If you have holes for drainage, the use case is totally different. Try putting tape over the holes and it cuts the wind noise out

Excellent reviews, thanks Ra1der ! I've been running the CTX GGA's with an adapter for the nox, and must say, I'm not a huge fan. They work fine, but sound seems muffled, and distant.

As for your WMO8, I believe it is "line of sight" so putting it inside or under your jacket unless it is crystal clear, may not work.

The manual recommends keeping the WM 08 “...on the same side of your body as the detector...”, but says nothing about line of sight. So I donned my rain jacket and went into our 90° heat to test. The WM 08 works fine under the jacket and behind my back. Was this some kind of joke? :mad: Have you been talking to Lama? :lol:

If you have holes for drainage, the use case is totally different. Try putting tape over the holes and it cuts the wind noise out

Right you are. I commented on the holes in the first bullet. Tony also suggested using tape, but it didn’t make that big of a difference. I believe the real issue is the NRR of the original cups.

Excellent reviews, thanks Ra1der ! I've been running the CTX GGA's with an adapter for the nox, and must say, I'm not a huge fan. They work fine, but sound seems muffled, and distant.

I ran the SurffoneS on the CTX as well. Honestly, nothing beats OBN’s old Skullies for ambient noise cancelation, but the SurffoneS give ‘em a run for the money.

thanks for the review-a good read and helpful

I’m here to serve. I’d really like to get my hands on a set of Patriots and GG to see how they compare.

R5

Raider i wouldn't waste my money on the GG amphibians if i didn't have to. My pair usually stays at the house and i use a rain coat with a hood with the wireless. Everyone i know wants new speakers in the GG. So save your change bro!:shock:

Forgot to add. I have tested both unmodified headphones on a riding mower. The one Tony uses lets in a lot more noise. The other pair you can't hear your cell phone ringing.

Raider i wouldn't waste my money on the GG amphibians if i didn't have to. My pair usually stays at the house and i use a rain coat with a hood with the wireless. Everyone i know wants new speakers in the GG. So save your change bro!:shock:

Forgot to add. I have tested both unmodified headphones on a riding mower. The one Tony uses lets in a lot more noise. The other pair you can't hear your cell phone ringing.

Hey Larry! Good to see you’re alive! :cool:

I’ve pretty much made up my mind, so I’m not looking to buy, but it would be fun demo and compare. If you don’t mind me asking, what headphones are you using?

Whenever my wife finishes cooking dinner, she yells “Molon Labe!”. I never knew what that meant until now! :laughing:

R5

Thanks for the report..

I would bet Tony would do a set of the bigger cups if you asked. I know I love the Peltors or 3m's... now.... way better then anything I have seen.

I'm just surprised others don't make there own...one of the easiest things to make and once you do you know how...and....you learn more about your hunting...

I haven't used either of the phones mentioned hear but I do use the peltors I made from OBN's video, I added the gel pads and I really like them. Quiet and very comfortable. Probably not as good as the scullies but I'm happy. BTW these are on my excal. I converted an old pair (blues) of minelab phones to fit the equinox but I do have to gel new gel pads as the originals are shot, and to be honest I think the speakers aren't as good as the excal ones in the peltor mod.

I haven't used either of the phones mentioned hear but I do use the peltors I made from OBN's video, I added the gel pads and I really like them. Quiet and very comfortable. Probably not as good as the scullies but I'm happy. BTW these are on my excal. I converted an old pair (blues) of minelab phones to fit the equinox but I do have to gel new gel pads as the originals are shot, and to be honest I think the speakers aren't as good as the excal ones in the peltor mod.

I’ve replaced the gel pads on the Skullies a couple times. I get them here:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/ps/head_ear/dregel.php

R5

You might surprised at how good some of the guys that make them turn out. I had a guy send me a set he made just to try them out and see what I though..Dag.... they were as good as the skullies!! As loud, and almost as crisp. Can't remember who it was but I was very impressed.

I would bet Tony would do a set of the bigger cups if you asked. I know I love the Peltors or 3m's... now.... way better then anything I have seen.

I'm just surprised others don't make there own...one of the easiest things to make and once you do you know how...and....you learn more about your hunting...

Modifying the blues on the Excal is one thing, but I don’t have a clue where to start building from scratch. If I had a list of parts and instructions...

R5

Modifying the blues on the Excal is one thing, but I don’t have a clue where to start building from scratch. If I had a list of parts and instructions...

R5
I'l get it together...

I actually did a how to thread a few months back.

I'll strat one in the fix and repair section and you can add to it, or maybe copy your How to over there.

Looked through your profile. Not finding it. Could you give a link?

R5
I never did one but will start one...Maybe others can add there ideas in...
What speakers did you use? I now use pizeo's only, cheaper and the audio is what I like but I will post the audiosears link video so that will be a options for some.
I'll be adding to it for the next few days...

Back
Top Bottom