• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What have we here?

fosgate3

I hope I am posting this in the right spot. I wanted to let FMD give a shot at this before I went elsewhere.

Can anyone tell me what I have here?
As the story goes, my grandfather sent this to my grandmother when he was a Merchant Marine during WW2. I was told he got it in Scotland when he was passing through the area. The flap part on the back opens up. I don't know what the symbol represents.

Thanks in advance. I appreciate everyone's time.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 210
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 196
I wish I had more information about it. I don't know where in Scotland he found it, or if it was in Scotland de facto or if in the UK in general. I hope someone can recognize it.

I will have to research the Cross of St. Andrew some. From what I see with a cursory search, it does not look the same. I found a description of the design as it would appear on a coat of arms though, and that's a start: "a hand in armour, fessways, Proper, holding a cross crosslet fitchée". It would appear that some Scottish clans used it in their blasons.

Many of the sporrans I saw online appeared to be much larger than what I have. It made me wonder if mine was a smaller replica of what was worn or if it truly was the real deal.

Back
Top Bottom