1909 token and some wheats.

Chipk

Elite Member
I was heading back to my latest permission in St Mary’s Georgia but I never made it.

Took a side road to do a little scouting and found a median with 5 MASSIVE oak trees. I try to never pass up big old trees and I love hunting around the bases. 100years ago these trees were magnets to kids to play under. Picnics were held under them. Before air conditioning the shade from these giants made the Southern summers a bit more tolerable.

Brought home a bucket of trash, mostly crushed cans and bottle caps. But found 4 Wheats. A 1910, 1919, 1940 and one I can’t read. Also found a much bigger object I thought might be a big copper but when I cleaned it I found it was a $.50 token for SOUTHERN FERTILIZER AND CHEMICAL ( Fert and Chem on the token in St Mary’s Georgia. According to Google they were in business for a short time in 1909.

I love my tokens. This was almost as good as a big copper.

Almost.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 350
Tokens are great local history.

Are your fingertips so worn from digging in dirt, or do you have a very manual job?

Fantastic token, Chipk! Just can’t beat them for cool, local history - especially great when they turn out to be for a small and/or short-lived company that might otherwise get lost to the fog of time!

I was heading back to my latest permission in St Mary’s Georgia but I never made it.

Took a side road to do a little scouting and found a median with 5 MASSIVE oak trees. I try to never pass up big old trees and I love hunting around the bases. 100years ago these trees were magnets to kids to play under. Picnics were held under them. Before air conditioning the shade from these giants made the Southern summers a bit more tolerable.

Brought home a bucket of trash, mostly crushed cans and bottle caps. But found 4 Wheats. A 1910, 1919, 1940 and one I can’t read. Also found a much bigger object I thought might be a big copper but when I cleaned it I found it was a $.50 token for SOUTHERN FERTILIZER AND CHEMICAL ( Fert and Chem on the token in St Mary’s Georgia. According to Google they were in business for a short time in 1909.

I love my tokens. This was almost as good as a big copper.

Almost.

I like that!
Wonderful find

Back
Top Bottom