Prizm V review and related depth

jerster

I'm new to metal detecting and was initially confused on which metal detector to buy to start out. I wanted something relatively easy to use with solid pinpointing since I would be using this with my younger daughter and did not want to lose her interest if we dug some phantom holes.

Finally, I decided upon purchasing a new Prizm V for X-mas based, in part, on White's reputation, information found on this forum, and recommendations from folks on here like Tony.

First time out was just the other day. I decided to check out my mother's backyard. House was built in the 50's.

Spent about 1 hr out in the backyard messing around and digging some targets.

Mind you, this was the first time out for me ever, it was about 35 degrees out, and I wasn't exactly expecting too much.

When it was all said and done, my daughter and I found 5 pennys, one a wheat cent and one nickel. These were found at an average of 4-5 inches. We also dug out a hose nozzle at about 8 inches and a water turn on switch at 6 inches.

Then, we got a two hits on the 25 cent to 50 cent range at 2 inches. Well, those ended up being both matchbox type cars at 6 inches.

To top off the day, we dug out a silver ring at 8 inches. Not a bad first day!

Today, 2nd time out, I was out messing around in my backyard and found a penny at around 5 inches.

The detector then went bonkers with another 25 cent/ 50 cent indicator at 2 inches. Hmmm. Yep, I dug it anyway.

It ended up being a construction metal piece down 15-16 inches! My arm was practically in the entire hole up to and around my elbow. Never would I have thought that the Prizm 5 could detect something so deep with such a strong signal. I still don't have headphones yet, so I'm using the tones from the machine to indicate when and where to dig.

The VCO pinpointing on this machine is spot on. While my hole digging will get better as I practice more in the turf in the spring and get a better tool, the coins where RIGHT where it said they would be.

Needless to say, as soon as its not freakin 30 degrees out here in Michigan, we're going to hit some parks and see what stuff we can find.

No complaints on the Prizm 5 from me so far!

One of the best piece's of advice is to not jump in and buy a popular new doctor that is in high demand until the supply catches up with demand unless you don't mind paying full suggested retail price.

Back
Top Bottom