Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Coiltek electronics
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 02-24-2018, 12:46 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Surf Master View post
You made this thread, the nugget hunter's will want the test done , Happy nugget hunting bro., which day are you going
Nugget hunters better look elsewhere.

I ain't doing.

Waiting on your gold at the beach review Earl.

I am getting a scoop, and going to the freshwater beach. In my wildest dreams I would have never thought I would do- blame the Nox !!

Old 02-24-2018, 01:14 AM
Elite Member

It is time for a mini review and tips - Minelab Equinox 800

I receive my unit a week ago Monday late.

I have around 37 hours in the field and around 17 hours testing.

So, overall I am very pleased with unit.
Handles like a dream for me.

Menu system is layed out nicely.

Detector assembly is easy.

Couple things for folks new to Equinox to keep in mind.

Ground balance.
Different detect modes may balance differently as far as my,very in the meter when doing auto ground balance procedure as outline in instruction manual.

Factory programs are good to start off with, and I think folks will even find with even more experience using detector you won't deviate very far form the factory pre sets.

Charging detector is easy as long as you have proper charger. (Not included)

Users will have to determine which tones as far as how many to use you prefer.
Depending on your detecting goals and or site some may be better than others.

Pairing wireless headphones is easy a domce dome, unless you do a full factory reset all you should have to do is turn them on with detector and give a brief moment and your headphone icon will appear showing pairing.

Folls new to Equinox will undoubtably get curious and do settings changes. Just remember they will stay in each detect mode, meaning if you forget what you've changed, or are uncertain, you can always (I recommend before starting hunt) to go in and do a " search profile" only reset.

Users will need to get proficient at setting up things like tone breaks and target target tones.

When changing detect modes, good idea to do a noise cancel.p, especially if you are looking for peak depth performance. Also anytime you hear your detector sounding like it is waivering over targets or you hear audio that sounds like it is cramped, not flowing do a noise cancel.

Park 1 and Field 2 detect modes are a little neutered and may give new users more comfort until they get more experience with detector.

Don't forget about advanced settings, the settings in these not apparent unless you open the advanced portion and actually look to see the setting.

So far, all in all Equinox is shaping up nicely for me.
Hopefully the manufacturer will have most folks orders filled soon.
I want to hear form many more Equimox users.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the update...

Old 02-24-2018, 04:17 PM
Elite Member

I spent a great of time this morning comparing all three of these detectors.
Equinox wearing 11 DD coil, Deus wearing 11" DD coil, and Impact wearing 7x11" stock coil.

The site Imwent to test, nearest emi ground source is 500 yards away.
There were aircraft flying around overhead at various times.

This are happens to be an area I have spent a lot of time detecting.
Area chose free form both ferrous and nonferrous using Deus gold field IAR setting 0 reactivity 2 setting.

The goal of this post is just truthful reporting. Not to knock any detector model.

Ground conditions wet.
Deus mineralization strength is showing 6 ticks in the meter, Impact's meter is showing 2 bars with a flash of a 3 Rd bar at times bobbing coil.

Here is a pic of coins tested at some various depths.

You see the coins, a clad quarter, clad dime, final generation IH penny (1899), and a copper 1973 penny.

I dig dig holes and kept plugs as intact as possible which was sorta easy due to the wetness.

First up was I buried clad dime 9" deep.
Checked with all detectors, only one detector on at a time. During all tests I checked different channels on Impact, I noise cancelled Equinox between mode changes.
On all these test Imdis everything within reason to get detector to detect the buried coin. Every time I changed freq using Deus pumping GB acquired. Iron bias was left at zero setting using Equinox for all tests. Impact disc left at 0 and isat left at lowest setting for all testing done.
So 9" clad dime.
Deus failed to detect, checked using deep program, hot program all freqs.- no cigar.
Impact detector failed to detect. Did give iron tone using deep and DI 4 programs.
Equinox passes test, both park 2 and field 2, park 2 having slight advantage signal wise. Speeds 5 and 6 gave best signal. Highest number ever in meter when sweeping was 7. Lots of 3.4 and 5s

9" deep Indian head coin.
Deus detects, but the only set of settings was using deep and 18khz reactivity 2 and 2.5 silencer -1. All other settings, modes failed
Impact failed to detect, Di4 and deep program gave iron tone..
Equinox detected IH using both park 2 and field 2, here on this coin the modes were tied, with one exception, field 2 seemed was more coil ,sweep speed friendly. Number in meter were higher than a clad dime, I say some low to mid teens on lot of sweeps.

10" deep copper penny.
Impact failed using any and all settings.
Deus field using any and all settings.
Equinox would give tone occasionally, speed setting seemed ultra critical, IMO Imwould be luckier than a dog to latch on to while hunting in the wild.

12" deep quarter.
Impact failed all settings tried. Use of 20kh only gave in iron tone in deep mode and 4 tone.
Equinox failed all settings tried.
Deus passes this test. Deep mode only freq 12khz I can hear, 18khz a better signal. Also using factory disc of 5.5 in deep mode a broken signal, lowering to 0 disc full tones using
18kh would dig the quarter every day of the week.

11" deep quarter.
Impact failed all settings tried.
Did get iron tone using 2 tone, 4 tone and deep mode using 20 kh only, the other freqs not a peep out of detector
Deus passes, again only program is deep mode, Imcould here this quarter using 8kjz unlike the the 12" deep quarter, freqs of 12 and 18 kHz provided signals,too. IMO 18 kHz was the top dog of signal achieved.

Equinox
Only tested using park 2 and field 2.
Field 2- nothing period tonally.
Park 2 a hit and miss signal, one special note here, seems lowering speed setting helped this quarter unlike what Imsaw on the 9" deep clad dime and IH coins. The signal here achieved though, I rate as I would be one lucky sucker to latch on to in the wild.

Keep in mind these test are reporting on freshly buried. Undisturbed coins at these same depths your mileage may vary.

I like all 3 detectors for different reasons and use them in different applications depending on what I am after and the site in general.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:32 PM

Great write up TNSS I've been following all your posts since you first got the Nox and I'm happy you've taken the time to do all these tests and write them up unbiased.