Salt

Sea salt definitely has the same affect on BP that ordinary salt does. I saw at one time a "low sodium" salt that had less sodium per teaspoon -- which they achieved by grinding the salt fine, so it was fluffier. By mass, it was exactly the same as regular salt. You can also find salt that has a portion of the sodium replaced by potassium -- I don't know how that affects BP, but we do need potassium. I can report that the potassium enhanced salt tastes really bad. I'd rather eat fruits and vegetables to get my potassium.

Or, cut the salt. You definitely don't miss it, once you get used to not having so much of it.

I have been on a no salt/low salt diet for a long time and one of my basic means to make things like boiled vegetables and such more palatable is to use crushed pineapple as a sauce. Cooking tenderized lean pork meat in apple sauce also works well. Black pepper is a must (I prefer course ground) for most everything also. When available we also buy the Rothschild habanero pineapple sauce from Sams to knock the dullness out of many dishes.

Back
Top Bottom