Looking for the best detector for the beach

GetDiggyWithIt

Hi,

I am new to metal detecting and have started off with a basic model. It has been OK for finding coins in the sand along the beach, but not so good when the sand is damp.

I'm ready to upgrade and am researching the best detector for the beach. I want to be able to detect in the soft sand, hard sand and into the water a few inches.

Any advice is appreciated and I have been and will continue to research the best fit before pulling the trigger. I hunt 1-2x per week and feel I am missing a ton of stuff with my basic $150 detector. I don't mind spending the money on a good one, but I want the best fit for the beach. Thank you again!

I beach hunt in Florida as well. What area do you hunt? I use a Tesoro Sand Shark

Hi,

I am new to metal detecting and have started off with a basic model. It has been OK for finding coins in the sand along the beach, but not so good when the sand is damp.

I'm ready to upgrade and am researching the best detector for the beach. I want to be able to detect in the soft sand, hard sand and into the water a few inches.

Any advice is appreciated and I have been and will continue to research the best fit before pulling the trigger. I hunt 1-2x per week and feel I am missing a ton of stuff with my basic $150 detector. I don't mind spending the money on a good one, but I want the best fit for the beach. Thank you again!

Everything you want to know about "competent" beach detectors is in this thread. http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=248905

Hi Tat! I mainly hunt Jacksonville and St. Augustine beaches. I have ventured as far south as Daytona. I am really new to this, so I have only been out less than 10 times. How about you?

Thank you DaviDs! I appreciate it.

Hi,

My wife uses a Sand Shark and I use an Excaliber II...but I dive with mine (and walk shallow water) and she does just as well with hers...Its also fun to dunk it under water to wash the sand off while people around me aghast in horror..I also have come to learn its not the tool, its the hand behind it...as I also have a CTX-3030 for two years and only now the light bulb came on as I am learning to use it...!! There soooo many people on this forum that love to share their knowledge....Its great and welcome aboard..

Hi Tat! I mainly hunt Jacksonville and St. Augustine beaches. I have ventured as far south as Daytona. I am really new to this, so I have only been out less than 10 times. How about you?

Thank you DaviDs! I appreciate it.

I live there! I'd say there are about 50 of us locals that frequently hit those areas and another 100 that randomly travel from Palatka, Gainesville, and Green Cove to hunt the same. During snow bird season, expect many more...

I say that to put in perspective that the popular spots are pounded daily and hit hard by people with know-how and good machines. That is why it is important to learn timing, techniques and have good equipment. :yes:

I am a Jacksonville beach hunter as well and use a Tiger Shark. I am considering upgrading to one of the new Equinox detectors in the coming months.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom