I wore a hole right through my Garrett Pinpointer! *UPDATED*

Not polycarbonate. It's a stronger, harder plastic, that's more durable. I've done tests on other products that are ABS vs PC. There's a big difference. And PC is less likely to crack than soft plastics like ABS. Just because one plastic is hard and one is soft does not mean one cracks easier than the other. ABS is soft and it cracks a lot easier than other stuff. I'm just saying they should look into it (their competitors have).

And you sir may know a heck of a lot more about plastics then me. I will take your word for it. But I have seen every brand out there with heavy wear on them. No plastic will hold up to abrasives like dirt and rock forever. It’s all in how they are used I guess. If someone uses it to root around then a tip protector is in order I suppose.

I don't know. That's what they are built for. They should be able to withstand typical use like that. I bet the vast majority of people poke around with them in hole. If anything, they need to upgrade their material. My guess is their using ABS or a softer plastic that wears out easily. Switching to a high grade, more wear proof, plastic could fix this issue. My AT Pin Pointer is about ready to do the same in one year of use. When you attach "AT" to a product you expect durability among rocks, hard ground, whatever it may be. That's their selling point, regardless of how fragile the inner workings of the instrument are.

Well , its just plastic and rubbing it around in the dirt is about the equivalent of hitting it with coarse sandpaper. All Terrain means it supposed to be a little more tough , but its still just plastic. Given enough time you could wear through even steel that way.

I was cleaning the dirt off my pinpointer and noticed I've worn clean through the tip. I've had the pinpointer less than a year. I must be too rough on it. I called Garrett and they issued a RMA number and will be fixing it under warranty. Can't beat that!! I put it in the mail today.
I had the same issue and they gave me a new one.

You cant beat that. Garretts CS is solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess they should put a plastic blade on that end so you can dig with it.:lol:

These posts where some are against the user aggressively probing the plug to find the source of the detector signal and eventually locating it is to me a very normal process. When I use pointers that have low sensitivity or those which sense way up the side that process becomes more difficult. Pointers like the TRX that have much better sensitivity and tip only sensing allow the user to get on target much more accurately. These pointers today are built as a hand probe , so that the user can accurately locate the find. So talk about wearing it out should be thought of as a normal process. These vinyl caps, if installed when the pointer is new take that abuse and when it wears thru, the user can then just replace that vinyl cap and go on with the sport without worry. Another thought is that every manufacture should provide a couple caps in the box with each new pointer sold. Pressure from us users could maybe make that happen. Or maybe they want you to just wear the tip out and sell you another pointer. In the mean time a pointer owner can just go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a vinyl chair leg tip of the proper size and make the correction and then posts like this would not be necessary.

I like to poke around with mine as well so I did this when it was newish. It's a rubber chair leg thingy, wrapped with electrical tape. Works very well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 117
I like to poke around with mine as well so I did this when it was newish. It's a rubber chair leg thingy, wrapped with electrical tape. Works very well.

Looks very good, and that ridge on the barrel of your pointer is a scraper bar so that in itself states that "Garrett" sanctions the pointer as a tool to move dirt around contrary to what some have mentioned above. Just go ahead and use it as designed but first put on a little protection as we do in many of the things that we do. :grin:

UPDATE: FedEx just delivered my repaired pinpointer. I'm pretty confident that they just put my serial number on a brand new unit. Spectacular service. Now I need to go get some protection for this one. :D
!!!

Attachments

• 20180305_165235_resized.jpg
    20180305_165235_resized.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 20180305_165245_resized.jpg
    20180305_165245_resized.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 89
I guess they should put a plastic blade on that end so you can dig with it.:lol:
Exactly why I love my Makro Pinpointer. The tip protector has a raised edge which is great for scraping away dirt.:yes:

Attachments

• makro PP tip.jpg
    makro PP tip.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 91
Back
Top Bottom