Will Equinox force MD prices lower?

El Toro

Cabela's just added the Minelab Equinox 800 for $899 and the Equinox 600 for $649 which are MAP prices. I also see they have the Teknetics T2 SE for $899 which is MAP but the Garrett AT Max is now just $722.

It appears that Cabela's also lowered the prices on the MineLab xterra series probably in anticipation of the Equinox release. I'm not an early adopter so I will likely pass on the Equinox for 6 months or more.

However, I think this may be an indication that a lot of good detectors will be dropping in price with the Equinox arrival. I know the Forum Sponsors probably already know where things are headed. I will wait and see how things shake out then decide what to buy.

With all the hype it’s gonna cause the others to drop. If it turns out to be only hype then they will come back up I bet. This will hold true for the used MD market too. So the question is.. are you a gambling man?? Lol

Well...a guy might want to hit a lot of Garage Sales or watch the CL adds this Fall...If you can wait that long....Right around November I figure...Half Price Equinox's for Everybody! :laughing:

A weak overall detector market already sent prices down. First Texas created the Ameritek line early last year - selling 3 of their best value detectors direct from their website at greatly reduced prices.

Now they have the F75+ and T2+ packages, which include one of their new pinpointers - at stunningly low prices.

Yeah, since I knew I was upgrading this week I've been keeping a close eye on the forums, eBay and CL. It's interesting watching used machines sit at prices at which they would have been gone in no time 6 months ago. Forums react first of course, since we're in the know and all... eBay sees it a week or so later when everyone realizes what's happening and doesn't want to get stuck with machines.

Most of the folks buying or selling on CL aren't in the hobby real seriously or aren't on forums so they have no idea they can't sell a used MX Sport for $550 now and when you tell them that, they aren't happy..."I only had the damn thing for 9 months and you're telling me they're not worth anything?" No, the market is a mess and if you're not ready to lose your ass and your name isn't Minelab, you should wait it out a bit...:impatient:

Sure did get me a hell of a deal on a basically brand new machine I've been trying to buy for months!

I feel for the guys trying to make a living selling detectors right now though. Gonna be touchy for a minute in the new and used markets.

The best value I'm seeing on the market now is the Kruzer multi cruzer as it comes with all accessories, coil cover etc. including the wireless headphones for 749$. I'd push the button on this one if not for the unknown Equinox multi IQ technology and Fishers-First Texas new lineup which may come out soon. How much of an advantage a person has with the Equinox IQ remains to be seen. Yes multi frequency is suppose to be better on the beaches but by how much over the Kruzer? Hearing good reports relating to the Kruzers performance on 19kHz so would probably go with the multi machine.

Value
It is no surprise you get more value for the dollar in Turkey as opposed to the Australian dollar where prices are high. The real final price including accessories for the Equinox may be around 1k as I hear they don't even throw in a charger to keep prices low.

I tend to believe that regardless of how well the Equinox performs, the damage has been done for new detector pricing as well as used detector values. This will obviously be good for the consumer looking to buy a new or used detector outright. If one is planning to trade in a machine right now, don't be shocked at how low the offer will be.:grin:

A weak overall detector market already sent prices down. First Texas created the Ameritek line early last year - selling 3 of their best value detectors direct from their website at greatly reduced prices.

Now they have the F75+ and T2+ packages, which include one of their new pinpointers - at stunningly low prices.

Honestly,I think alot of people including myself are just a little burned out on these new releases,and to keep dumping one good machine in hopes of getting another one that might or might not find a nickel my previous machine missed is insane.
I'll stick to what's out there used,good machines at good prices,and in reality I doubt any new release would be worth the effort it takes to box up and ship out what I already have.

I don't think my Equinox is going to make a huge difference in finds but if it does I'll be a real happy camper!
This is my last detector purchase.

I tend to believe that regardless of how well the Equinox performs, the damage has been done for new detector pricing as well as used detector values. This will obviously be good for the consumer looking to buy a new or used detector outright. If one is planning to trade in a machine right now, don't be shocked at how low the offer will be.:grin:
I agree, the Equinox has hurt some of the dealers business. I hope it turns out to be as good as they say it is going to be so the dealers that carry Minelab will have an increase in their business.

Honestly,I think alot of people including myself are just a little burned out on these new releases,and to keep dumping one good machine in hopes of getting another one that might or might not find a nickel my previous machine missed is insane.
I'll stick to what's out there used,good machines at good prices,and in reality I doubt any new release would be worth the effort it takes to box up and ship out what I already have.

Hit it dead on woodbutcher. I sat with 15 freaking tabs open last week on my browser doing research knowing I'd have about $1K to spend at the end of the week on new gear. The Equinox was part of that research of course.

I went with a used MXT All Pro. It helps that I knew this specific machine, but the main reasons for my decision are simple.

1. It's proven. When people have been pulling great finds regularly for years with a machine, you don't take the risk of not knowing what you're gonna get. F75, T2, DFX, E-trac, MXT, AT Pro...We all know what these names mean.

2. Price. Yeah, the market is a mess. When a guy can pick up a $1000 machine with little use for $500, it's a no-brainer...Thanks rabid Minelab fans!:laughing:

3. Simplicity. I like new gadgets and bling as much as the next guy. When I'm picking tools though, I want something built tough that I don't have to worry about breaking down. That was one of the main reasons I got out of the ATP. It just never felt "all together" to me. The old school Whites box with knobs? Bulletproof. AA batteries if my NiMh goes dead? Yes please.

Anyway, no more machine hopping here either. 2 legends in the truck and the willingness to learn and listen to what they have to say will, I'm sure, be enough to keep me diggin!! I hope the new rigs work out for everyone and those looking to get into a different machine look closely and see if all this "new" is really "better".

Anyway, off the soap box. :theatral: GL and HH!!

Cabela's just added the Minelab Equinox 800 for $899 and the Equinox 600 for $649 which are MAP prices. I also see they have the Teknetics T2 SE for $899 which is MAP but the Garrett AT Max is now just $722.

It appears that Cabela's also lowered the prices on the MineLab xterra series probably in anticipation of the Equinox release. I'm not an early adopter so I will likely pass on the Equinox for 6 months or more.

However, I think this may be an indication that a lot of good detectors will be dropping in price with the Equinox arrival. I know the Forum Sponsors probably already know where things are headed. I will wait and see how things shake out then decide what to buy.

Minelab has lowered prices XT-705 $499, XT-505 $399, XT-305 $299.

Teknetics lowered prices Digitek $129 Minuteman $149 Liberator $219.

Back
Top Bottom