Sand bar ?

Rckymtsearcher

Alright y'all take it easy on me, remember I'm a Colorado girl at the beach. So are sand bars generally good places to hunt? We have one at the beach here that's out about 200 yards and is only about 2 feet under water. Should I take my AT Pro out there? Could it be worth it? Thanks for any thoughts on the subject.
Casey
Rckymtsearcher

IMO! You are hunting sand bars for recent drops.I've never personally done any good on top of sand bars.You need to be in the "Mine" between the sandbar and the wetsand.Feel for rocks and other heavies.feel around with your feet.When the tourists leave i hunt zero percent of my time on sandbars.It is a waste of valuable time since you only got two hours before and two hours after low tide usually to hunt in the water.Otherwise just wetsand hunt.

Looks like you are talking fresh water sand bar? They dont move as bad as the salt water ones. Im like itsaring.... i like to hunt the lower areas. You have to watch the people.... are they going out there a lot and then what are they doing.... sifting thru sand with their hands ect. Hey... you have the machine why would you not hunt it.... then you know and can move on or keep at it if it produces.

Dew

Always remember that we are looking for things people have lost. So the primary rule in searching is to look where people have been.

Beaches are prime targets for us because water is the biggest thief in all creation, and summer heat causes huge numbers of people to congregate along shorelines to sacrifice their jewelry to the water gods.

So unless this distant (200 yds out!!) sandbar is ever swarming with swimmers at any time for whatever reason, it just doesn't sound very enticing to me.

Thanks y'all I'm on the gulf coast for a week. I've managed .72 in clad. Not a lot I know but it's all a learning experience. I think I can find a better spot to hunt, like the chair line or high tide line. I'll keep you posted.
Casey

I have hunted a fresh water lake with a beach numerous times, done ok, i got one silver dime out of it. My friend who went and bought a cheapo off brand sandshark to try out detecting went to the same lake, and went to the sand bar, not the beach, i thought he was a bit nuts. Sure enough he gets a 63 silver quarter and a vintage rare fishing spoon worth about $40 to collectors, so there may very well be good things out there, but with sand, things sink deep so be listening for faint signals. Funny how a brand new guy can think out of the box and show me up, sure was cool.

IMO! You are hunting sand bars for recent drops.I've never personally done any good on top of sand bars.You need to be in the "Mine" between the sandbar and the wetsand.Feel for rocks and other heavies.feel around with your feet.When the tourists leave i hunt zero percent of my time on sandbars.It is a waste of valuable time since you only got two hours before and two hours after low tide usually to hunt in the water.Otherwise just wetsand hunt.
What beach is in Colorado or are you on a coast beach like California? I am thinking you are on a beach along the river. No tides there!

in salt water here at home I do put a pass or two on the high sand bars,,,IF, there is a shell line to follow,,,,I guess in your case it would be small rocks? bottom line,,,,you never know where it is going to be,,,,,

I'd say go for it... I've found what i assumed were fresh drops on the bar and also old crusty silver rings, maybe it was eroding and i picked and oldie out.... You never know...

Ooooops you are in salt water you would have an issue with the AT Pro since its a single freq machine. Dont know if you could tune it well enough to get the chatter out and salt water is H A R D on any machine.

Dew

I go to any bar I can to go hunting. Bars downtown seem to have a better pick up scene. Aka meat market. Lol

As a gulf coast boy (Padre) I can say that the sand bar at 200yards on my old beach would not get much activity due to the fact it would most likely be the third bar and you would have to swim to it. At regular tide the first bar is right around knee deep, the next is waist deep then the third chest deep. The waves would beat you to death.:laughing:

Alright y'all take it easy on me, remember I'm a Colorado girl at the beach. So are sand bars generally good places to hunt? We have one at the beach here that's out about 200 yards and is only about 2 feet under water. Should I take my AT Pro out there? Could it be worth it? Thanks for any thoughts on the subject.
Casey
Rckymtsearcher
If the swimmers go out to that sandbar then hunt the back (ocean) side where it drops off into the deeps. I doubt much will be on top of the bar. If it feels soft under foot then move to where it is hard. Firm bottoms are the best. (no pun intended) The slopes up to and over the bar are probably the better spots. If the water is rough then stay safe. You also will need a heavy scoop. Good luck! Hope to see some nice finds from you.

Back
Top Bottom