Tuesday's hunts

KingTotsalot

Official Tot Lot King
Forum Supporter
Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
When I got to the office Tuesday morning, for the 3rd time in 10 working days, our power was off, due to local t-storms. After sitting around and chatting with fellow workers, the boss called in and told us all ....ya got the rest of the day off, enjoy! That was 11 am.

Fortunately for me, I had just loaded my MD and equipment back in my truck from my weekend trip to Memphis! So I headed out, first bought some lunch and went to Toy Hill, a popular site near our local baseball field. After eating in the truck, I got geared up and started searching....40 minutes later and 39 cents ahead, I decided I needed a change of pace, so packed it in, and drove down to Reservoir Park. There are two major totyards with large equipment there, about 1/4 mile apart, along the Arkansas River. The first one I searched, along with a neighboring soccer field grandstand area. The kids were losin quarters and the soccer viewers musta been pitchin pennies cause that's what I found! About 2 bucks worth of clad. Packed up and drove to the other totyard. I began to search it and found that someone had sponsored a major Easter Egg hunt for the kids. There were pieces of plastic eggs everywhere in the playground and scattered around outside. I found 3 plastic eggs partially buried in the sand (we had had major rains the day before), and they contained those mini candy bars...Yum, I needed a snack by then! :lol::clapping:

Then I spotted a yellow egg by itself next to the railroad tie border of the yard. Rather than bend down to pick it up, I used my coil like a scoop to get it. When I did, the machine went off loudly. I grabbed the egg, opened it and found 5 clad dimes! :shock: I found the best egg of ALL! :lol::lol:

I continued my search and ended up that yard with a little over a dollar total clad.

Then I packed up and decided to drive through some local neighborhoods nearby searching for another playground. By then it was around 3 pm. I was driving around looking at all the downed trees in folks yards from Monday's storms when I came on a playground full of kids and parents. I parked nearby and decided to hunt it anyway.

As soon as I approached there were kids running to see what I was gonna do. The parents told them, he's going to hunt for metal in the park. The playground contained the coarsest gravel I had ever seen in a park, most over an inch in size! So the sifter was no good, but I had brought my Fiskers scoop so started the search with kids birddoggin' me. Found a few coins and showed them, then a hot wheels car, and most gave up interest but two. A 6 year old girl and a 7 year old boy. Every time I would dig, I would talk to them, about how I liked my hobby and finally the boy asked me, "Say, who drops all this money around here??" :?: And I laughed and said, Probably you and your friends! :yes: He thought about that for a minute and said, "Keep up the good work!", and then took off to play! :lol: The girl was infatuated with my machine and asked me all kinds of questions, and I let her help me dig in the loose gravel. Every time we would find something, she would shout out, FOUND A DIME! FOUND A PENNY! I was searching the last of the area around the swingset when we started hearing distant thunder and her mom came to get her. And her mom said, "It's a nice thing the city is doing cleaning up the park this way. Are you a volunteer or do you work for the city?" I said, "Just a volunteer." :lol: Then she said, "Well, we got to go, cause the weatherman said a big storm is gonna hit in about 10 minutes here."

I thanked her, made a couple more passes and then headed to my car. Walking with me were a lady and her son. Her son had watched me at first then then went on to play, never bothering me...so as they walked by my truck, I said to him, "Would you like to have a Hot Wheels car?" He said, "SURE!" :gimmy: So I gave him the one I had found in their park.

I think I could visit that place anytime now and the parents would not be bothered to see me the way I handled those kids. With what I collected from that site, I had a slightly over $4.00 clad day.

I hot-footed it to a local restuarant and was eating supper at 5 pm when the storm hit with waves of rain coming down. It was over in about 30 minutes so I went on to my local meeting I was planning on attending.

We always have a show and tell session and I had not done one before, so I told them about finding the money-laden easter egg! :lol:

A very detailed story that was very interesting , sometimes long winded as you called it is good . More detail about the hunts like you did is a good thing for us readers . Congrats on a nice afternoon of hunting and a great story and you befriended some parents along with it . Good Job ....

Harold

Hey you made the best of a less-than-favorable day, made new friends, represented the hobby in a good way, and had some fun-and got to eat pretty frequently....not so bad.

Send some of that rain back to Colorado we could use your left-overs.

thanks for an interesting story, ColoKid.

i think its amazing how people over there treat you so nicly over here in the UK you gotta be a bit more distant with people and around kids because if your farily old about 45 or something and your talking to alot of young kids in a park the parents would phone the police and get the wrong idea i wish the UK was like that park and very understanding of you :), i think its very nice what u did and how much u found :D

Back
Top Bottom