At last - I am stoked, yet its lead

jayreef

Elite Member
Found this today, and at last the proof i have been looking for :)

First off, thanks Simon for the hint "research your area"

On the outside its a lead weight

On the inside, i was right about the fields, the romans were there :yes:

I have put loads of time into an area, with some strong foundation of vague knowledge.

it looks really boring, like an oversized fishing weight, but its a Roman Steelyard, or weight of a scales measuring system, same as this

http://www.finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/291688

Lead

40mm diameter

weight - 247 grams / 8&3/4 ounces

2-3mm lead patina covering

Appears to have iron chain? connection at top

rough cast, as very even shape

:)

Attachments

• weight 1.jpg
    weight 1.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 311
  • weight-2.jpg
    weight-2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 300
Looks like the larger version of the steel ball and chain used for gates in the colonial period...
Great find!

Good Morning Jayreef, I have a question. When you said:

off, thanks Simon for the hint "research your area"

On the outside its a lead weight

On the inside, i was right about the fields, the romans were there

I have put loads of time into an area, with some strong foundation of vague knowledge.

Do I take it to believe that there were some doubters, possibly historians, as to the presence of the Romans in that area and your research and effort to find proof may have proved them wrong?

If that is the case................BRAVO and good on Ya!

Great find brother.

Good Morning Jayreef, I have a question. When you said:

Do I take it to believe that there were some doubters, possibly historians, as to the presence of the Romans in that area and your research and effort to find proof may have proved them wrong?

If that is the case................BRAVO and good on Ya!

Great find brother.

Around where i live, 40 mile radius, there are 2 very well catalogued and much featured roman forts, and another one i heard about by having a conversation with some local farmers over the course of a few weeks.

Its unusual for a roman fort to not really feature much, or be named with its Roman name, like this one http://www.visitcumbria.com/amb/galava.htm

In fact, besides local knowledge, which can be sometimes good, sometimes excellent, and sometimes third hand, it seemed pretty bizarre that some people knew about it, or it had been mentioned in a walking guide, and had a reference on a map.

I knew i would be not allowed onto it, or in the area around it, so after many hours thinking about it, and studying maps, i decided that if the fort was there for any substantial amount of time, then anything could have been dropped / lost / hidden at another location, that made sense to me.

So after tracking down land owners, knocking on doors, waiting for answers, making more phone calls, i eventually was given the permission i was after :cheers:

And after 2 weeks of 'after work, and weekend searching", i found the weight.

At first i was intrigued by it, threw it in my bag, came home, cleaned up the other finds of the day, (shoe buckle from 1720-1790's), In a moment of boredom a few hours later, i decided that as i had nothing else to look at, i would post it for ID on one of the Uk sites, expecting "1900's something or other"

Went to a neighbours house last for a birthday party, and whilst their decided to check the thread "Gotta love the iphone :)"

and to my surprise, everyone was coming up with the same thing, Roman, so i then started looking on the Official finds for the UK sites, and they appear to be bang on.

I heard a rumour of a hoard of roman coins being found nearby that dated 400AD, so i reckon 400AD also

247 grams, is nine roman ounces, which is a "dodrans" seemingly

Back
Top Bottom