Civil War Token Whizzer

teotwawki12

Elite Member
Have been waiting patiently for the harvest to come (and for the fields to be fair game). Finally a few of my wheat fields are harvested and being plowed..

I worked on a field with a fresh chisel plow job that shows a home in the late 1800's that I missed before on the map. Found the site (iron everywhere) on the rise in the field (as is normal). Didn't find anything remarkable besides bits of a pocket watch, oil lamp, harmonica, etc.., but it has promise. Detecting on the rise and fall of the fresh chisel plow is tough going; hopefully they will put beans there next year!

Decided to check a yard nearby (not doing many yards right now due to the extreme dryness, but the house is still being renovated and therefore vacant, so what the heck). I found a bunch of cool old coins and trinkets under the remains of a swing (on an old maple tree limb) last time I detected there. Picked up a few keepers that I missed last time.

Very excited to find a civil war token; I seem to have very good luck finding those around this area. The only downside, if one can call it that, is that I have already dug this particular token. But this one has two holes in it, so I guess it qualifies as a "whizzer" or a "whirligig". I actually put a string through it when I got home and it does...whizz. The kid was less than impressed with my new toy. Oh well. Back to the Ipad.

The 1919 S wheat cent was a treat as I don't get a lot of old "S" mint marks around here.. And the company on that flat key seems to be a maker of locks and trunks, so maybe its an old steamer trunk key?? And I think "Hiawatha" is a new one for me in the shotgun headstamp collection....

Anyway....the beans are getting nice and brown out there...….soon....

Attachments

• KIMG1852.jpg
    KIMG1852.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 353
  • KIMG1857.jpg
    KIMG1857.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 311
  • KIMG1855.jpg
    KIMG1855.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 381
  • KIMG1856.jpg
    KIMG1856.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 353
  • KIMG1853.jpg
    KIMG1853.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 302
  • KIMG1858.jpg
    KIMG1858.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 308
  • DSCN0562.jpg
    DSCN0562.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 319
  • DSCN0563.jpg
    DSCN0563.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 303
  • DSCN0564.jpg
    DSCN0564.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 323
  • DSCN0565.jpg
    DSCN0565.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 319
  • DSCN0567.jpg
    DSCN0567.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 350
  • DSCN0568.jpg
    DSCN0568.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 293
Congrats on the assortment of really cool finds! That’s so neat that you’ve dug two of the same Civil War token. I’d love to find just one!

The kid was less than impressed with my new toy. Oh well. Back to the Ipad.

Yep, that sounds pretty familiar - about the same reaction I would get from my oldest daughter! :lol:

Anyways, fanntastic token! Don’t worry about the duplication - pretty unique to have both a whizzer and a “stock” variety! Love that key as well! Hiawatha headstamp is new to me, too...very cool. And silver and Wheaties are always nice. Great pics as usual!

Back
Top Bottom