Detecting Germany, Day 2 - Coins, Axe, Button!

Diggum

Elite Member
It was another fabulous day of detecting old goodies in the German woods! In addition to the almost ubiquitous Jaegermeister bottles and plastic bullets, I found two very old musket balls (one looks like it's about 60 caliber!), some old and thin brass hinges (book hinges, maybe), an old, old button with its shank still intact (old because it was deep in this undisturbed forest soil), two 50 Pfennig coins - one a modern copper-nickel alloy coin that is too crusted to get a date and the other an 1876 silver beauty, and an another axe head!

This axe head reminds me of what I've seen Colonial axes looking like, with the exception of a down-sweep and then an up-sweep of the working end. It was about 5" down, on its side, so I'm going with "super old" on this one! Does anyone have any ideas?

I was able to get creative with my packing (and thankfully discovered that even my cut-rate seat gets a personal item with a carry-on), so everything is coming home with me! It will be interesting to see if they stop me with the plastic bullets... Meh, maybe I should just throw those in my checked bag...

Attachments

• 20190921_154435.jpg
    20190921_154435.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 423
  • 20190921_154428.jpg
    20190921_154428.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 209
  • 20190921_154412.jpg
    20190921_154412.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 205
I thought you might, Tom! :) I have always loved the German Imperial Eagle. It's a gorgeous example of power and beauty.

Yes. It's one of those coat-of-arms insignia artworks on coins, that's very pretty. Always good to see looking up at you from your hole !

The silver is freaking sweet! I’ve always loved that eagle design. But to be honest... I’m more jealous of the axe head, that’s 1 thing I really would love to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a great hunt and congrats on finding some German silver.
Thanks, Jamflicker! And of course, that's German silver, as opposed to german silver (a nickel alloy that has no silver in it)... :D

That silver is pretty sweet, well done :)
Thank you!

The silver is freaking sweet! I’ve always loved that eagle design. But to be honest... I’m more jealous of the axe head, that’s 1 thing I really would love to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm with you there! And that axe is super old, I believe! I need to find an axe forum or history forum that will give me an idea of actual age. I'm pretty stoked! Two awesome axes, and two awesome silver coins, plus other goodies! Whoop!

Back
Top Bottom