Tuesday's Gone!

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
Ronnie Van Zant of Lynyrd Skynyrd wrote the song Tuesday's Gone when he came to the realization that life as he knew it would never be the same. This last Sunday one of my hunting buddies and I made a 1/2 mile hike through the riverbed and woods to hunt some relics near old Fort Dodge. After the, what seemed like several miles, and we got to the site I was shot. After a short 30 minutes I had to head back due to prior plans to be at my folks.

On the long trek back to my car I came to the realization this type of hunting was out of my ability, and my life would never be the same. For the last near 40 years I had walked miles and hunted hours on end with no problem but it was time for a change. My detecting style had been slowly changing over the last 5 years, and I was rapidly running out of places to hunt. My only option now is to return to the places I had already hunted, more than likely several times before, and try something different or hope to get lucky.

I can't hunt in the sun any more because, according to the doctor, years of detecting in the sun has made me allergic to the sun. I've owned just about every detector I've ever wanted to try, I've found just about every piece of treasure I could have hoped for, and through it all the biggest treasure has been gaining the reputation as one of the local historians. I guess at this point my only option is to.... next time take my brothers 4 wheeler to that remote site. LOL

I plan on swinging until I can't swing no more!

Keep on swingin my brother. I too, feel that time is catching up with me. My mind says yes, but my body says no...:lol: Fight the good fight. Another good song, Die with your boots on...(Iron Maiden)

It's time to pass the torch, rather than drop it.

Find a Big Brother Big Sister outfit and offer to teach tme metal detecting. Groom the future and watch the skills you have gained travel forward in time.

You don't have to do the arduous stuff, but you can take them to parks, various places, show them the ropes, how to dig, how to search... It is very satisfying.

Or take on a protegeand teach him or her. Then, when you feel it's time to hang up the spurs, give them the detector and watch them ride into the sunset.

write a book. Take your collection and go over it carefully, find a few items that really speak to you and do a "Holling Clancy Hollings" number, writing kids' books about the items, whre they were made, when and how, and who might have used them. American history is GREAT and kids would love it, served up properly.

Pay it to the future. We are ALL someone else's past.

SageGrouse
Who is getting there myself.

Yep! age creeps up on us all! I can no longer climb the hills that I used to; or even stand on my feet for 30 minutes without needing to sit. You'll just have to change your criteria to suit the new circumstances. However never give up detecting just do it in smaller doses! If nothing else whilst those stiffening joints are malfunctioning you can still enjoy the glories of nature! You can always purchase one of those light, easy to carry, foldaway three legged stools? That's what I use!:oldguy:

Back
Top Bottom