small find at the Bank

Kael

I went in for some rolls of halves to hunt (it's raining and I'm bored), and one of the tellers volunteered that she had an Ike. I said I'd take it (why not?). As she was handing it over she told me. "We didn't know what it was when it came in. We took it to a coin shop and they said it wasn't worth anything." I told her that didn't matter, I'd still take it.

I'd like to know what coin shop they took it too, because it's a 1976-S.

It weighs in at 24.5 grams, so I'm sure it's a 40% silver. (The clad version weighs 22.something grams). I know it's not super valuable, but the coin shop could have told them it was 40% silver.

Got skunked on the 4 rolls of halves though.

Wait a sec? They took it to get it valued, then put it back in their till?

The teller said something to the effect that they took it to a coin dealer who said it "wasn't worth anything"

I assume he looked quickly and didn't notice the S mint mark. Perhaps he gets people coming in with the commons all the time. Also, one wouldn't expect to find an S in circulation. As I understand it, all of the ike's minted at San Francisco were for either proof or uncirculated mint sets. Somebody must have been hard up for a dollar and spent this one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom