Recently found ring

BlueHuntsCoins

Just went to one of Chicago's oldest parks and found this ring. It sounded so high on the Equinox 800, 31 or 32 which surprised me because most silver rings I find ring in the penny range. Didn't have any markings except for ". 99". I looked it up and I think it pertains to the size of the stone on the ring, which is almost a carat (?) Not sure what kind of stone it is but the ring tested 925 sterling silver. Cool find! 😁

Attachments

• 20200928_192419-01.jpg
    20200928_192419-01.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 332
  • 20200928_192424-01.jpg
    20200928_192424-01.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 304
Odd that it rag up so high. After you got it out, did you rescan the hole? I had a dime ring up 31-34, pulled it out and then rescaned the hole to find a quater, It was all clad but I think the two coins so close made the Nox ring up high.

I'm thinking pure silver, not sterling. The .99 is the purity of the metal IMO. Could also explain why it rang up so high. Cool find!

Odd that it rag up so high. After you got it out, did you rescan the hole? I had a dime ring up 31-34, pulled it out and then rescaned the hole to find a quater, It was all clad but I think the two coins so close made the Nox ring up high.

That's what I thought too. Nothing else else was in hole nor in the plug. I even did an air test once it was out and still rang that high. Weird.

I'm thinking pure silver, not sterling. The .99 is the purity of the metal IMO. Could also explain why it rang up so high. Cool find!

I did the silver acid test and it cam out 925. Wouldn't pure silver be 999 instead or do they use 99? I was thinking that the 99 pertains to the stone. Could either be sapphire or something. But I'm sure it's not that precious if it's on silver.

I did the silver acid test and it cam out 925. Wouldn't pure silver be 999 instead or do they use 99? I was thinking that the 99 pertains to the stone. Could either be sapphire or something. But I'm sure it's not that precious if it's on silver.

I'm wondering if one of the nines wore off, or its foreign and they might only use 2 nines. Also, I've never seen any precious stones other than diamonds have the carat indication on the ring. Just doesnt seem to make sense to put the carat designation on silver for a potentially fake stone. I could be completely wrong, just a guess. I'd be happy with that find for sure, a very sharp looking ring!

I'm wondering if one of the nines wore off, or its foreign and they might only use 2 nines. Also, I've never seen any precious stones other than diamonds have the carat indication on the ring. Just doesnt seem to make sense to put the carat designation on silver for a potentially fake stone. I could be completely wrong, just a guess. I'd be happy with that find for sure, a very sharp looking ring!
That's what I thought as well that they would only have this for diamonds. I mean, even if it's not diamond, still wouldn't say it's a fake stone. Lol semiprecious stone maybe? But why have the carat mark though. A bit odd.

It also can't be 999 since it tested 925 using acid. Oh well, nonetheless, very happy with this ring for sure. [emoji16] Thanks!!

That's what I thought as well that they would only have this for diamonds. I mean, even if it's not diamond, still wouldn't say it's a fake stone. Lol semiprecious stone maybe? But why have the carat mark though. A bit odd.

It also can't be 999 since it tested 925 using acid. Oh well, nonetheless, very happy with this ring for sure. [emoji16] Thanks!!

What kind of acid test are you using that you can tell the difference between 999 and 925? I've never heard of such.

Silver tests typically just test for silver, with positive results above 50%.

So... how did you derive 925 with Acid? I'd trust an electronic test, but acid? never heard of it! Would love to know...

Skippy

What kind of acid test are you using that you can tell the difference between 999 and 925? I've never heard of such.

So... how did you derive 925 with Acid? I'd trust an electronic test, but acid? never heard of it! Would love to know...

Skippy
Sure, based on the product information, it depends on the color that the silver and acid produces. Here's a screenshot of the instructions included. I'm sure it's not super accurate but the color produced was not bright red.
d48a12a608f3996fbfe0aa7dc4c39ee2.jpg

all I can say is: excellent pix. I'm old enough to remember when these type pix were impossible :wow:

Skippy
the best acid test for silver is the scratch on the stone and then apply 18K acid. Silver will have a fluorescent to purple appearance unmistakably. You will not know if it is 925 or 999 silver but you will know it is silver.

the best acid test for silver is the scratch on the stone and then apply 18K acid. Silver will have a fluorescent to purple appearance unmistakably. You will not know if it is 925 or 999 silver but you will know it is silver.

The silver acid test I recently purchased has instructions to find and estimate on how pure the silver is. I posted an screenshot of the instructions in my previous reply.

Back
Top Bottom