Paige In The Woods

TNTGross

Elite Member
Had a rain day here in North Florida. Had to take the day off of work due to it. Spent the entire morning watching "The Expanse" on the tube. Cool show, but I was itching to get out to do some detecting. I had a break in the rain around noon, so I loaded up the truck and headed to a park that has a couple of acres of woods on the St. Johns River.

It was a 45-minute ride, and when I got there, I hunted in the cleared out area for half an hour. Not finding anything worth note, I headed into the woods hoping for better luck.

At first, I wasn't finding much. A few old shotgun shells and beer cans, so deeper into the woods I went. I made my way through the underbrush all the way to the river. Here I found where old tossed out bottles, beer cans, and foam go to rest.

Finding all this trash frustrated me a bit, I didn't want to leave it, but I couldn't take it all with me or detect in it. So, I headed inland a bit hoping to find an area that was detectable.

I did find a small area next to be the biggest oak tree I have ever seen. It must have been 15 feet around. Detected next to it and got a banging 39-40 at 5-6 shovels deep on the Nox.

It wasn't hard to dig, but it was a lot deeper than 8 to 10 inches. More like 18 inches deep, but I got it and it wasn't what I was expecting.

As a matter of fact, I didn't know what it was. When I pulled it out of the ground, I could tell it was brass and to me it looked like a large bed post topper with a "nut" on top. When I scrubbed the muck off the top, I saw that there was writing on the "nut". It took me a minute of looking at it, but I figured out that it said "PAIGE".

I had no idea what I had, but I was done hunting and started the treck back through the woods to get to my truck. When I got to the clear, I hunted all the way to the truck but didn't find anything.

I tossed the big brass cap in the back of my truck and enjoyed the ride home.

When I got to the house I did a little research on the brass cap and found out that it was a grease cover hub cap for a now-defunct car manufacturer. The Paige automobile company, that sold luxury cars between 1908 and 1927.

(Quarter for size comparison. Not found on this hunt.)

Attachments

• Paige Grease Hub Cap Cover 01.jpg
    Paige Grease Hub Cap Cover 01.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 268
  • Paige Grease Hub Cap Cover 02.jpg
    Paige Grease Hub Cap Cover 02.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 232
  • Paige_Fleetwood_in_Horseless_Age_v37_1916-05-01_p342 (2).jpg
    Paige_Fleetwood_in_Horseless_Age_v37_1916-05-01_p342 (2).jpg
    18 KB · Views: 261
  • Paige_Fleetwood_in_Horseless_Age_v37_1916-05-01_p342.jpg
    Paige_Fleetwood_in_Horseless_Age_v37_1916-05-01_p342.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 201
It just takes one find like this to make the day.

Now the mystery starts: How did it get there ?

GLHH!

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

It just takes one find like this to make the day.

Now the mystery starts: How did it get there ?

GLHH!

I asked myself that very question. How did it get there? There didn't look to be any old roads in that area. It was at least 600 yards from the main road with a river on the west side. Maybe 20 yards away. A creak 20 feet away on the Southside and it was at least a foot and a half deep. And other than some modern trash and a few old shotgun shells, there wasn't much out there. So, how did this big old brass hubcap get way out there? I have no idea.

Nice find, congrats on the save. Also nice report on the history, thanks . How it got there ? Maybe washed down river in a flood or somebody went off-roading back in the day. Again cool find. HH Mark

Back
Top Bottom