Equinox F2 update. Whats your thoughts?

fuzzymaster

I have not done the update yet. I tried when it first came out but couldn't because I was using windows 7. What improvements have you noticed? I have the 600 so backlight adj would be nice.
I would like an update for the depth gauge.

Depends how experienced you are. The new iron bias scale set to zero really opens it up to report everything. The operator needs experience with his ears to tell the iron.

I don't hunt nights. Backlight is fine here. I never felt the F2 upgraded software did anything for me. In fact, it was just confusing.

I went directly back to Ver 1.5, but I admit...I went back and tried the new upgrades several times. IMO, the Minelab designers had it right with the first version.

I have used the 600 this year, and have dug less and less rusty nails . It took awhile, and now I can pick coins out of the nails a little better.

I've done a bunch of comparison tests....in the ground and in the air. The first update (1.75) was absolutely an improvement over 1.5. More consistent numbers and 1.5 clearly has an issue with not responding to coins on edge. As far as FE versus F2, I think I'm just used to FE and didn't want to change mid season. I'm going to start spring with F2 after my ears have become a bit rusty over the winter anyway.

I have a Nox 600 and I do hunt at night so doing the upgrade was a no-brainer just for the backlight option.

I have used both the Fe and F2 settings depending on how many bottle caps I encounter in different parks. To my ears, the higher F2 settings do change the audio responses for all targets somewhat not just ferrous. I may be imagining that but I'll keep testing and using them. The VDIs may be a bit different too.
The ground is semi-frozen here so it is not a good time to do any real testing but it seems like copper (pre-1982) pennies have had a much wider numerical target ID after the 2.0 update......

I have not had a chance to do any gold prospecting yet with the new F2 settings. The original Fe iron bias settings worked really well for me so I can only hope the F2 settings will be even better. I hate to drive 800 miles and not have any idea if I have iron, tin, aluminum, lead, brass or gold under my coil. I really appreciate how the Equinox in the gold modes has made that dilemma much easier to deal with. It gives me so much information that it is almost like cherry picking for gold nuggets. So the hardest part with the Equinox 800 is just getting the coil over one or several!!!!!!

Jeff

Last edited:
I've done a bunch of comparison tests....in the ground and in the air. The first update (1.75) was absolutely an improvement over 1.5. More consistent numbers and 1.5 clearly has an issue with not responding to coins on edge. As far as FE versus F2, I think I'm just used to FE and didn't want to change mid season. I'm going to start spring with F2 after my ears have become a bit rusty over the winter anyway.

I never saw "more consistent" numbers with the update. Lots of jumpy-ness. The high conductors also became skewed above the common qtr numbers of 20-30, like Ver 1.5 gave.

As far as the coin on edge issue? My Nox running Ver 1.5 hits edge silver coins, but the Nox can get testy when over a perfectly straight up half dollar on edge. Quarters and dimes on edge is a piece of cake.

So, I simply ain't worried enough about that "scarce on edge" bigger coin. Besides, I can see my half dollar on edge. It just takes a bit of personal methodology.

To add? Ver 1.75 really threw off my accuracy in pinpoint. I am sticking with the factory 1.5!

I have read on this and other forums that users are not happy with the Equinox depth gauge. I have never read what the problem is....... I don't think Minelab has addressed a problem with the depth gauge in any of the updates. Maybe they are not aware of any problem. I am not having any problems with my depth gauge on either my Nox 600 or 800.

The depth gauge is calibrated to give a rough estimation for the depth of coin sized objects in normal detecting conditions. Each depth arrow equals somewhere between 2" and 3" depending on conditions. Anything a lot smaller or a lot bigger than a coin is going to make the depth gauge read differently. So will multiple targets in the hole. Lots of moisture, frozen ground, extremely dry soil or high mineralization can mess with it too. Same goes for any detector I've ever used.

So, what problems are you having?

Jeff

Jmaclen, so I guess with all variables that effect depth gauge that you mention, mine is doing alright. It was not a big problem, sometimes at certain sites I try to dig deep signal only. I use the strenghth of the audio not the guage. I thought if the gauge were more reliable it would be another tool.

I love the f2 update, just remember to do a factory reset after the update. It defrags the machine and makes it work better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You dont have to use the FE update , so if it does nothing for you there is no need to revert back to the previous version.

You dont have to use the FE update , so if it does nothing for you there is no need to revert back to the previous version.

Right, one can switch back and forth between FE anb F2. Right?

I wasn't convinced right after the update that they didn't fiddle around with things other than adding the F2 option. I have settings dialed in for specific spots at specific permissions, and no desire to mess with them until I want to try something different. That's why I rolled it back rather than just ignoring the F2 option. After the ground freezes and thaws I'll update again and likely work with the F2 option in the spring.

Right, one can switch back and forth between FE anb F2. Right?

That's what I understand and what I have been told. The FE update is an addition not a replacement to what was already there. But I do have to admit I haven't used it yet to verify from personal experience.

I updated to F2 on release, set it on zero and haven't changed it.
The audio just works for me better than any sparky, spitting, scratchy report type detectors.
I can honestly say I've never looked at the depth gauge, i rarely look at the screen as i now trust the audio feedback of 50 tones.
Field 2, with F2 set on zero and recovery speed 5 in iron is like working in HD, for my ears!

Back
Top Bottom