semi-key Indian cent

DougF

Elite Member
I went out yesterday - a brisk day, about 40 F, but sunny, so not bad. Went to a spot I've searched a lot, but now the cold weather has knocked the grass down so you can get closer to the ground. Only keeper for the hunt was the 1876 Indian, in pretty good shape. This is my first Indian from the 70s. I have one from the 60s, but all the rest are later. Also posting a pic of another find from a couple weeks back, which looked like a piece of can slaw at first.

After getting home, I cleaned it off and saw some writing on it. It's about 2 inches long and was originally a cylinder with one end closed. Roxbury Rye was a whiskey distillery in Washington County, Maryland up until prohibition. I didn't know what it was until I searched "Williamson Co." and found it was the largest US manufacturer of corkscrews. This item is a sheath for a pocket corkscrew.

Marking on it reads - "bottled in bond / Roxbury Rye / Whiskey / Better than Medicine / Williamson Co. man'f'rs"

Attachments

• IMG_1594.jpg
    IMG_1594.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 133
  • Roxbury Rye.jpg
    Roxbury Rye.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 138
  • f38.jpg
    f38.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 129
I love the green patina showing through. With some toothpick action, or a dry soft toothbrush, you should be able to get the whole coin to show with no invasive evidence of your effort. Good show !

Agreed, that green is the best. I would be very careful cleaning it.

I love the green patina showing through. With some toothpick action, or a dry soft toothbrush, you should be able to get the whole coin to show with no invasive evidence of your effort. Good show !

Back
Top Bottom