Should I bring my metal detector?

andonfeeler

Hello this is my first post, I have a metal detector (not sure of the brand) that had cost about 150$ at the store, I have found alot of pop cans, nail, and random hunks of metal with it. My family and I are going to Cancun Mexico and I was wondering if I should bring it with to look for lost rings and whatnot on the beach! Im only 16 and dont know if I would find anything or to much about metal detecting in general. Thanks!

The tourist beaches of Mexican beach resorts get detector traffic. But it doesn't hurt to bring yours, as long as you're going. Other md'rs never "get it all".

I've heard that the beaches there tend to be much more littered than ours. But maybe you'll get lucky and end up there on a day where there's been surf to erode the inter-tidal zone, taking out all the light-weight junk.

Good luck .

Make sure it is permitted on the beach resort property you are at. Yes take the detector its not always about the finds it the adventure. HH, Phil

Make sure it is permitted on the beach resort property you are at. Yes take the detector its not always about the finds it the adventure. HH, Phil

Do the beach resorts own all-the-way out to the water's edge ? They don't own "the beach" too, do they ?

I recall a story where a tourist getting ready to go to a Mexican beach resort trip, called ahead and inquired of the resort whether-or-not md'ing was allowed. Someone there told him "no" (because they figured it might bother the mating sea turtles or something ?). So the dude left his detector at home.

Imagine his surprise when he went to the beach vacation there, and saw several other md'rs w/o a care in the world, during his stay. Hhhmmm. :?:

Hello this is my first post, I have a metal detector (not sure of the brand) that had cost about 150$ at the store, I have found alot of pop cans, nail, and random hunks of metal with it. My family and I are going to Cancun Mexico and I was wondering if I should bring it with to look for lost rings and whatnot on the beach! Im only 16 and dont know if I would find anything or to much about metal detecting in general. Thanks!

I would definatly bring it , last time i was there i sure wish i had brought mine. you might also check under (search) type in Cancun and see what others may have posted about it. You might also might list what kind of machine you have and get so tips on its use there.

davidlhyde63366 I will grab it later when I go to work as I brought it to metal detect a old house I was doing work on, ill let you know the name and brand (keep in mind its nothing fancy lol) Also does anyone know if you can bring these with on a carry on luggage on the plane?

I only read the subject line but the answer is always yes

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I got some good news and I got some bad news. The good news is your not on a vacation near Salinas , Ca. Where Tom wants 30% of your finds. The bad news is your in a foreign country that , as a culture , is historically worse. The mordida (or bribe) could be cheap though. I say definitely go for it ! Make sure you bring a cheap beach sandscoop or sifter to dig with. Watch some videos on that. Good luck and post some pics of your pirate treasure !

... The bad news is your in a foreign country that , as a culture , is historically worse. The mordida (or bribe) could be cheap though....

Why is it a "bad" think when people don't have to pay my duty-taxes :?: :laughing:

As for Mexico : I took a trip to Mexico in the early 1990s, with an immigrant employee of mine. Who was convinced that "treasures are everywhere in Mexico", so a detector will make child's play of finding them :roll:

In the months leading up to our departure, I shared with several md'ing club members. And got stern warning of dangers that will lurk behind every corner. Eg.: muggings, food and water that will sicken you, corruption and Mexican jails (if they, gasp, see a detector), etc.... And as I shared each one of these concerns with my guide-host, he would just shrug his shoulders and wonder where-the-heck I'm getting all this from.

We went through the border of El Paso/Juarez, with the detectors in full view. And a border patrol even pointed at them and said something in Spanish to my host. As we pulled past them and onto our travels, I asked my host "what did he say ?". Turns out the guy asked "what's that ?". To which my host had answered "Pasa tiempo" (ie.: "a hobby"). The border guy had just shrugged his shoulders and waived us through.

Never saw any corruption or muggings blah blah . And the food was awesome and fresher than here in the USA it seems. Ie.: they're killing a cow that morning, and you're eating the meat that very night. And the water is straight from mountain spring pipes (we were way up in the Sierra Madres).

I'm sure if you get off the beaten path in the "bad areas" of border towns (seeking vice and such), then sure: You're endangering yourself. Same for wandering the ghetto in any big city in the USA too. From what I understand about the beach resorts in the Caribbean, Mexico, S. America, etc... : As long as you stay in the tourist zones, and aren't wandering side streets and/or soliciting things you shouldn't , that you're ok.

Beaches in Mexico are public and you have public right of way to walk (detect) them. Zeemang may not charge 30% like Tom, but there is a Taco Tax in place for anything made of oro.

carry on in plane

davidlhyde63366 I will grab it later when I go to work as I brought it to metal detect a old house I was doing work on, ill let you know the name and brand (keep in mind its nothing fancy lol) Also does anyone know if you can bring these with on a carry on luggage on the plane?

I have traveled with mine broke down in my luggage several time. Just break it down as much as you can and wrap the control box and coil in clothes to protect them. Luggage handlers are not gentle when they throw the bags on board , a hard case suite case might be better. I have traveled all the way to the Philippine with mine in a suit case with no issues. Doesn't have to be fancy to find things but knowing the brand and model may get you more tips. The Model i took to the Philippines was a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV , not my main machine . I also got a small coil for it because the public beaches in the Philippines tend to be very trashy. The tourist ones tend to be much cleaner, and better chance for lost tourist gold and silver.

Definitely bring it and let us know what make and model it is, since there will likely be some settings you'll need to change to help on salt water beaches.

Good luck, and be sure to show pictures of your finds. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find a gold ring (but don't announce it while you're on the beach...lots of people will claim that they "lost" it. Keep your finds to yourself until you're safe in your room)

Safe travels.

All beaches are public here, the "federal zone" is from the water up until where you see the hotel chairs put out. The hotels lease a certain bit from their hotel out towards the ocean to put out lounge chairs. Some hotel staff will get pissy if you detect there while the chairs are out but when they pull them back in at night you an hit that area as well. Anyone gives you any gruff just say"zona federal"...

:fmdfwelcome: Thanks for joining us!

Yes, bringing your metal detector is a great idea! Better to have it with even if you don't have a chance to use it, than to not bring it & wish that you had. :grin:

its not always about the finds it the adventure. HH, Phil
Well said! :waytogo:

Last edited:
I may be in the minority here, but family vacations are better without the detector.

Since when can't md'ing be a family item, or an UN-objectionable activity ?

And the man can chose carefully, and perhaps has a wife who also likes md'ing. Or chosen a wife who doesn't dictate his choice of hobbies.

The notion of md'ing doesn't need to be a mental image of "ignore your wife and be selfish ". It *can* be done in fair moderation.

Back
Top Bottom