• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Scary Schoolyard finds

Copet

Didn't have to dig to find three 9mm and three 223's. They were all on top of the ground, casings were 3/4's exposed. They don't seem to be to old, should this be reported to the authorities?

Attachments

• 20200429_214846.jpg
    20200429_214846.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 753
Speaking as a former local officer, there's not much to do with it. Toss em or keep them for yourself.

Those are HARMLESS. Nothing to get excited about. Even loaded ammo is no where as dangerous as a tremendous number think.

Those 223s may have been from a parade?
We used to chase the guys from the American Legion in the parades when we were kids, hoping to get a brass shell or two:yes:

Those 223s may have been from a parade?
We used to chase the guys from the American Legion in the parades when we were kids, hoping to get a brass shell or two:yes:

Those aren't blanks, blanks tend to have a crimped end where the paper was held in vs a projectile.

Another option is that it came in with some fill dirt. I've found casings in the strangest places.

One school in my town used to be a rifle range and the ground is always giving up old bullet casings (mostly .22 and .38) along with various metal debris.

Wonder what the teachers say when the kids bring 'em into the classroom? :shock:

Are you in the hood? Might be some some hoodrats slinging white cloud on somone else's turf . Shell casings might be a result of a bloodbath turf war. Steer clear of that place

I find shell casings and live rounds in school yards fairly commonly. Some recent, and some from long ago. Those short ones look too big to be starter pistol rounds? I find those little rounds by the running tracks all the time.
If you find a gun in a school yard, then don't touch it, or stop digging, and call the police. For these, it's a waste of time.

Didn't have to dig to find three 9mm and three 223's. They were all on top of the ground, casings were 3/4's exposed. They don't seem to be to old, should this be reported to the authorities?

Good grief no.

Kids bring that stuff to schools all the time. They get them from parents who hunt, or pistol shoot for pleasure, and the kids ask for them. I used to give them to my kids to play with (They know the difference between live ammo and a casing). Fired brass is just brass, no danger to anyone.

I've easily found 100 casings in school yards and parks, and probably 30-50 "live ammo" bullets. It's the expended rounds (the fired bullet) laying on the surface that weird me out. I've found probably a dozen of those. Usually 9mm. Makes me think they get shot from somewhere and land on the ground. They aren't unloaded rounds, as they all have rifled barrel marks.

But seriously, there's no crime in finding or carrying them. (Casings are perfectly legal to carry around). They're harmless. I usually find the most around hunting season.

Cheers,

Skippy

One school in my town used to be a rifle range and the ground is always giving up old bullet casings (mostly .22 and .38) along with various metal debris.

Wonder what the teachers say when the kids bring 'em into the classroom? :shock:

Around here:
"Oh, what caliber do you shoot?"

LOL

Skippy

I actually love finding these in parks. And since I'm in Chicago, I do find a lot of these on my digs. Smaller calibers but still fun!

I find spent ammo in almost every public park/school I go to. Usually common handgun ammo like 9mm, 45, etc, sometimes .223, 7.62, 12 gauge. My theory is that gangster-types go out at night and fire off a few for fun or to test out their guns.

I find spent ammo in almost every public park/school I go to. Usually common handgun ammo like 9mm, 45, etc, sometimes .223, 7.62, 12 gauge. My theory is that gangster-types go out at night and fire off a few for fun or to test out their guns.

The only thing that makes me wonder if it's really that happening is that if you fire a bullet straight up and it tumbles down, it actually buries itself pretty deeply (based on what I saw in a Myth-busters episode). Most of the spent bullets, I find are literally on the surface. So, either my estimates of what happens when those bullets fall back is off, or they're being dropped somehow.

I do find them occasionally deeper, but for the most part it's surface. I figure the deeper ones have just been there a few seasons.

How about you? Do you find most of them on the surface or deeper?

I get it Pal,. I've been MDing for quite some time. These were on top of the ground. The shell casings that I find are deep,not not the surface. I thought it was quite bizarre. I was wrong.

Anytime Pal.

Never wrapped my head around how some people freak out over spent casings, or God forbid, a live round!

Back
Top Bottom