• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Frozen ground question

Silverhorse65

Elite Member
Newby to the hobby. I've been hunting with a Nox 600 since June, prior to that a years worth of experience with a Fisher F22. Mostly just clad coinshooting with the Fisher.

The ground is starting to freeze here in Iowa. It's consistently teens and 20's at night. I've noticed digging holes this week is getting harder to do and if the ground doesn't see sunshine, it's pretty frozen the first inch or two.

Anyway, I've also noticed depth and VID seem less reliable this week. Is it just my imagination, or could there be a correlation between the cold/freezing ground and these Nox 600 fluctuations?

Your body is shaking so hard, you can’t read the damn thing. Go get yourself inside !

Such a simple answer to such a complex question. I'm so addicted though, I just can't go inside! I guess the only answer is to slowly detect my way South. Expect me at the Gold Coast next summer just as it's getting unbearably hot down there. At that point, I'll be asking questions about how the heat affects metal detecting, LOL. Thanks for the insight though WOM

I've noticed most detectors act funky in frozen conditions. Hit the woods when the turf gets hard. The leaves insulate the ground, which will keep it soft alot longer than bare ground.

Newby to the hobby. I've been hunting with a Nox 600 since June, prior to that a years worth of experience with a Fisher F22. Mostly just clad coinshooting with the Fisher.

The ground is starting to freeze here in Iowa. It's consistently teens and 20's at night. I've noticed digging holes this week is getting harder to do and if the ground doesn't see sunshine, it's pretty frozen the first inch or two.

Anyway, I've also noticed depth and VID seem less reliable this week. Is it just my imagination, or could there be a correlation between the cold/freezing ground and these Nox 600 fluctuations?

Here’s a video on winterizing your metal detector. Believe me i’m in the same boat as you.
https://youtu.be/JkI3Ej2kitI

Here’s a video on winterizing your metal detector. Believe me i’m in the same boat as you.
https://youtu.be/JkI3Ej2kitI

So... this guy has a toasty warm detector now for his Alaska -54° temps. Does he have a superheated Lesche digger to slice thru the permafrost to get the crusty Zincolns? I admit to not viewing the whole video. maybe the frozen ground question was answered, but I was shivering here in Boston, just imagining being out in temps that could keep the Pfizer Covid vaccine fresh for a year - Brrr. He’s got it bad (the MD addiction).

I am in a similar situation. Just got back into metal detecting in October, and we got our first real snow this week. Will make for a long cold break spent anticipating next year’s thaw.

Maybe time to move south...

Very impressed with the dude from Alaska, just don't think I can see myself detecting under several inches of snow. However, if Coinboy wants to take me to his secret picnic honey hole, I may reconsider.

Also, got a good laugh out of that thread GKL. What do you get when you mix old men, a metal detector forum, and bad dad jokes? GKL's thread, classic!

Very impressed with the dude from Alaska, just don't think I can see myself detecting under several inches of snow. However, if Coinboy wants to take me to his secret picnic honey hole, I may reconsider.

Also, got a good laugh out of that thread GKL. What do you get when you mix old men, a metal detector forum, and bad dad jokes? GKL's thread, classic!

Thanks ! :laughing:

:laughing: Maybe after i hunt it with everything i’ve got...

Back
Top Bottom