Better to give...

pplinker

Forum Supporter
Today I stopped in to see a lady who I met metal detecting. She is not well off, and when I first met her I took her some fast food and asked to metal detect in her yard. She let me and I found a couple of silver quarters. Today I stopped by with a McDonalds breakfast for her and a Christmas card with some money tucked inside. She doesn't have much except her good health because she is 80 years old and walks every where she goes. I'm thankful for her and she means more than anything I've dug out of the ground. Dear lady, she offered to let me metal detect but I said better not, the ground is frozen.

This time of year, I'm thankful for friends. Has anyone else made any friends while metal detecting??

Great Christmas spirit

Today I stopped in to see a lady who I met metal detecting. She is not well off, and when I first met her I took her some fast food and asked to metal detect in her yard. She let me and I found a couple of silver quarters. Today I stopped by with a McDonalds breakfast for her and a Christmas card with some money tucked inside. She doesn't have much except her good health because she is 80 years old and walks every where she goes. I'm thankful for her and she means more than anything I've dug out of the ground. Dear lady, she offered to let me metal detect but I said better not, the ground is frozen.

This time of year, I'm thankful for friends. Has anyone else made any friends while metal detecting??

I am sure she not only values the food and money , but the time you give her as well . Many of our seniors are very lonley. You should be paid back in good Karma many times over.

...I bet that Lady has some interesting stories and also would make for a good mentor on things...You found a treasure and recognize it...Thanks for the post...Good On Ya...

Someone to talk to , and friendship is something the older people probably really miss. Likely most , if not all of their friends have passed on , and this leaves them alone and probably pondering about their last days here with us. They would love to have a chance to tell their stories , and I for one love hearing them. Good on you for being a friend to this lady. This time of year is probably the lonliest time of the year for them .

Thanks for the kind words but it probably helped me more than her. The thing is, doing this small little thing for someone else made me feel pretty good all day. Not like finding a gold ring, but still very good. Like a silver ring. Definitely better than a rusty horseshoe day. I will make it a point to pay her more visits. Very thankful for a hobby that can bring lasting treasures.

kindness

Every one on here should rember one of there days that old person may in fact be us . Now that my parents are gone and i am geting older my self, i really engjoy talking to the older generation.

Every one on here should rember one of there days that old person may in fact be us . Now that my parents are gone and i am geting older my self, i really engjoy talking to the older generation.

X2 here. It's getting to the point that I'm losing some of my older friends, so the ones that can tell me their older stories , are actually strangers . So this Christmas I'll be spending the day in a rest home with my Mom , who probably will not know who I am anyway. It will be a depressing day , but I may be a new face to some anyway , even tho I've seen them all before.
The whole point here is , everyday , try to spread a little cheer into someone's life however possible. Life is short.

X2 here. It's getting to the point that I'm losing some of my older friends, so the ones that can tell me their older stories , are actually strangers . So this Christmas I'll be spending the day in a rest home with my Mom , who probably will not know who I am anyway. It will be a depressing day , but I may be a new face to some anyway , even tho I've seen them all before.
The whole point here is , everyday , try to spread a little cheer into someone's life however possible. Life is short.

Beautiful words Hawggie.......spreading a little happiness, Humor, cheer to help somebody else get through their day...Some folks got it real bad, we dont know the half of it but have been there and can imagine...our interface with them can make all the difference...Even here on the Forum, some folks are dealing with some heavy loads never talked about openly...

Well said and prayers sent. God bless.

pplinker, you have a good heart. :yes:

Well said Hawgdawg. Your comment about spending Christmas at the rest home with your mom, reminded me of a
story I read a while ago. It so moved me that I saved it in my computer and included it here (pplinker, sorry, I'm not
trying to highjack your thread, but had to share this).

The story is told by a nurse working at a hospital. Here it goes:

“It was approximately 8.30 a.m. on a busy morning when an elderly gentleman in his eighties
arrived to have stitches removed from his thumb. He stated that he was in a hurry as he had an appointment
at 9.00 a.m.

I took his vital signs and had him take a seat. I knew it would take more than an hour before someone would be
able to attend to him. I saw him check his watch anxiously for the time and decided to evaluate his wound since
I was not busy with another patient.

On examination, the wound was well healed. Hence, I talked to one of the doctors to get the supplies to remove
his sutures and redress his wound.

We began to engage in a conversation while I was taking care of his wound. I asked him if he had another doctor’s
appointment later as he was in such a hurry. The gentleman told me no and said that he needed to go to the nursing
home to have breakfast with his wife.

I inquired about her health. He told me that she had been in the nursing home for a while as she was a victim of
Alzheimer’s disease. I probed further and asked if she would be upset if he was slightly late. He replied that she no
longer knew who he was and she had not been able to recognize him since five years ago.

I asked him in surprise, ‘And you still go every morning, even though she doesn’t know who you are?’

He smiled as he patted my hand and said, ‘She doesn’t know me, but I still know who she is.’

I had to hold back my tears as he left.

I had goosebumps on my arm, and I thought, ‘That is the kind of love I want in my life.’

True love is neither physical nor romantic. True love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and will not be.”​

That's a nice story Rudy. And it is reality.
There's an older fella that seems to be at the nursing home almost every time I go, and he's there just pushing his wife around in a wheelchair thru the halls of the home. Alzheimer's is a very sad disease , it leaves us feeling helpless and sad that there is nothing we can do , when their bodies are still in pretty good shape , but their minds have left them. But for them , in their brief moments of clarity , you can see the fright in their eyes , as they don't know what's happening to themselves.
Yes , I'm sorry as well pplinker, I sometimes just seem to drift and ramble on and get off topic sometimes. No disrespect intended.

pplinker, you have a good heart. :yes:

Well said Hawgdawg. Your comment about spending Christmas at the rest home with your mom, reminded me of a
story I read a while ago. It so moved me that I saved it in my computer and included it here (pplinker, sorry, I'm not

The story is told by a nurse working at a hospital. Here it goes:

“It was approximately 8.30 a.m. on a busy morning when an elderly gentleman in his eighties
arrived to have stitches removed from his thumb. He stated that he was in a hurry as he had an appointment
at 9.00 a.m.

I took his vital signs and had him take a seat. I knew it would take more than an hour before someone would be
able to attend to him. I saw him check his watch anxiously for the time and decided to evaluate his wound since
I was not busy with another patient.

On examination, the wound was well healed. Hence, I talked to one of the doctors to get the supplies to remove
his sutures and redress his wound.

We began to engage in a conversation while I was taking care of his wound. I asked him if he had another doctor’s
appointment later as he was in such a hurry. The gentleman told me no and said that he needed to go to the nursing
home to have breakfast with his wife.

I inquired about her health. He told me that she had been in the nursing home for a while as she was a victim of
Alzheimer’s disease. I probed further and asked if she would be upset if he was slightly late. He replied that she no
longer knew who he was and she had not been able to recognize him since five years ago.

I asked him in surprise, ‘And you still go every morning, even though she doesn’t know who you are?’

He smiled as he patted my hand and said, ‘She doesn’t know me, but I still know who she is.’

I had to hold back my tears as he left.

I had goosebumps on my arm, and I thought, ‘That is the kind of love I want in my life.’

True love is neither physical nor romantic. True love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and will not be.”​

Basically it's a labor of love, and though it can be draining at times, you do it because you care. My wife and I took her mom from an out of state nursing home and moved her into our home as soon as we realized the gross level of neglect there, we have been caregivers for her for over 7 years now, she is 92 now and had dementia for several years before we moved her to our home. Her dementia usually is more of her talking to imaginary people and thinking she still has her own house somewhere and thinks we are keeping her from going to her own house. With an occasional rare exception she still knows who we are, but very occasionally forgets our names. We are not saying all nursing homes are bad or neglectful, but people need to do good research first if they have no choice but to put someone in a nursing home.

(pplinker, sorry, I'm not

”[/INDENT][/I]

Didn't take it as highjacking at all. Thanks for sharing that beautiful story. God bless you Gary and Hawgdawg for caring for your mothers.

10 days ago, my wife was on our town's facebook page. She read me a post by a guy who had taken his 80 year old mother to the Christmas parade. She lost her 60 year old engagement ring. His father is in bad shape with either dementia or alzheimers and mom is starting to slip away too. We contacted him and I met up with him in short order.

We searched where they had been sitting as well as where they had walked and an additional spot where they had stopped so she could get out and search the car's floorboard. After an hour, I was able to set his mind at ease that the ring just wasn't there. Of course, it was possible someone walking by picked it up but I thought it was more likely to be in the car. He couldn't immediately search the vehicle due to his wife having an appointment that morning. His mother was so despondent she wouldn't get out of bed.

The next day he texted. The ring was found under the seat. Our own little Christmas miracle.

Happy New Year everyone and HH
Henry

That's great NCDFX! Always love a happy ending, expecially at Christmas.

Good on you for helping them hunt for it.

My best friends many are in the hobby, but rarely see they moved away. One who was a top notch buddy died too early of cancer..type of friend who would invite me to go to detect with his family in far places of the Globe. He made his own smoked salmon what a treat when he and his wife would be generous and give me a whole smoked salmon. Miss him dearly,but lucky that he was part of my life though far to short,God gives and God takes I guess.

A friend hard to replace and hard to forget.

My best friends many are in the hobby. One who was a top notch buddy died too early of cancer..type of friend who would invite me to go to detect with his family in far places of the Globe.

A friend hard to replace and hard to forget.

I know how you feel. I lost a lifelong buddy to the opioid scourge this past year. I am sorry for your loss.

That's a nice story Rudy. And it is reality.
There's an older fella that seems to be at the nursing home almost every time I go, and he's there just pushing his wife around in a wheelchair thru the halls of the home. Alzheimer's is a very sad disease , it leaves us feeling helpless and sad that there is nothing we can do , when their bodies are still in pretty good shape , but their minds have left them. But for them , in their brief moments of clarity , you can see the fright in their eyes , as they don't know what's happening to themselves.
Yes , I'm sorry as well pplinker, I sometimes just seem to drift and ramble on and get off topic sometimes. No disrespect intended.

Truely sad what happens to the old folks, but sometimes we can look back with a little smile. A few weeks before my dear mom passed she dialed up the telephone to talk to me at my own house.

The part that gave me a chuckle the phone was next to the easy chair where I was reading a book in front of her at her house.

Back
Top Bottom