• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

fake ring and pulled out this necklace no stamp

bobcartree

Forum Supporter
and got clad , cut hole for necklace 2 inches down , it kept pulling out ,it ranging up as nickel , i think it's gothic metal , it was exciting though , i thought I had a real one , good hunt anyhow ,

Attachments

• GEDC0325.jpg
    GEDC0325.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 298
  • GEDC0322.jpg
    GEDC0322.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 275
This past spring I had this bracelet ring up as a scratchy nickel and pull tab range. Even though it was a broken up signal I decided to dig it anyways. I was not able to see any markings on it to identify that it was silver. But I knew that it had weight to it so I took it to a jeweler who showed me with a loop where it was marked 925 on the clasp.

Here are some pictures hope this was helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_20171212_153107.jpg
    IMG_20171212_153107.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_20171212_153019.jpg
    IMG_20171212_153019.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 195
That necklace might be silver ,don't chuck it out!
You could grind/scrape a link to see if its copper colored underneath.

Yeah especially if its Non Magnetic! Dont dismiss it as junk if you cant easily find a mark...A jewelers cloth comes in handy..silver will leave a black streak, Stainless steel, Not...

it is not magnetic, i can not find a stamp any were ,

To check for silver, lay it out on a strip of foil, spit on it (just saliva, not anything else, LOL), and wrap it tightly. Wait 30 seconds, open it up and SMELL it.

If it's silver, it'll have a strong nasty odor to it. The sulfides in your saliva work with the aluminum to create the nasty smell.

If it's stainless steel, it'll not smell (or smell like ranch dressing if that's what you just ate, *laughs*).

You can prove this to yourself with a known piece of silver, and a spoon, or nickel or something, if you'd like. It works, and is a fantastic way to test silver cheaply.

Note, though, it will also react this way to silver PLATE (as the silver is reacting with the saliva). This will at least tell you, though if you've got something worth investigating, even if there's no stamp.

Stuff doesn't always get stamped. As an example, my wife's 14K anniversary ring, which has 1.72 carats across 3 stones... doesn't have a single stamp.

Cheers,

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom