Explorer2 Iron Mask???

TabZilla

Forum Supporter
Is the smart find discrimination pattern over ridden when the iron mask is turned on? Not sure if it's two separate modes or inter connected discrimination.

Have a used one on the way, also ordered the book.
Looking forward to learning what it's all about.

Noah

Is the smart find discrimination pattern over ridden when the iron mask is turned on? Not sure if it's two separate modes or inter connected discrimination.

Have a used one on the way, also ordered the book.
Looking forward to learning what it's all about.

Noah

When you switch to iron mask, you are overriding your disc. pattern.

Think of it this way -- all iron mask is, is a "blanket" discrimination of targets that read at a certain FE number, or higher. You could "manually" set up a discrimination pattern that "matches" any particular iron mask discrimination pattern if you wanted...but iron mask lets you do it quicker/easier.

For instance, if on the Ex. II you set your Iron Mask at zero, you are blacking out roughly the left half side of the smartfind screen (any target with a ferrous number farther left than your iron mask setting will be discriminated out). Now, you could go into the menu and edit a disc. pattern, and set it up to block out that same exact left half of the screen, and if you did, that disc. pattern would behave exactly the same as the iron mask setting zero. But instead of having to "edit" a disc. pattern, you can simply choose iron mask zero, and turn iron mask on. Done.

Does that make sense? When hunting, if you are hunting a particular disc. pattern -- say, the "coins" pattern, and then you switch to turn on iron mask, you are now discriminating according to the iron mask setting (for instance, the left half of the screen if choosing iron mask setting zero), instead of discriminating the blocks/pixels that correspond to the coins pattern. Turn iron mask back off, and you are back to your "coins" discrimination pattern.

Make sense?

Steve

Last edited:
Exactly,nice description Steve.
Noah..I don't recall what you were using before but watch out,you're about to be Explorer-smacked!:grin: Don't get overwhelmed,start simple. Small steps with the EX2. Ask questions! The hardest thing I had to understand was to trust the machine. It will tell you when you have a good target. Do NOT second guess it.

Thanks for the info guys.

I started with a compadre a few years ago then a Mojave last year.
Picked up a Mr Bill IDX earlier this year. Awesome deep iron hunter!
The IDX finally got me some 8"+ coins. Why is it discontinued?

I am thoroughly ready to be overwhelmed with the explorer! Definitely planning on running in factory settings to start with. Bring on the multi tones!
Should be a fun journey, thanks again and I'll t to post about my progress.

Noah

Thanks for the info guys.

I started with a compadre a few years ago then a Mojave last year.
Picked up a Mr Bill IDX earlier this year. Awesome deep iron hunter!
The IDX finally got me some 8"+ coins. Why is it discontinued?

I am thoroughly ready to be overwhelmed with the explorer! Definitely planning on running in factory settings to start with. Bring on the multi tones!
Should be a fun journey, thanks again and I'll t to post about my progress.

Noah

That's too funny Noah! I too have a modded IDXPro,a Compadre for my boys,an Explorer2 and a CTX! The IDX was pinnacle engineering and I think it went out about the time the multi tone stuff really started getting going. It is a FANTASTIC machine for many places.
Good luck and have fun,it will come. And you will "get it" in time.:grin:

That is funny. Traveling a similar path!
I was considering diving into a CTX but decided to
pick up this Explorer first. Just got the book yesterday.
Gives me a little time to read up on it before the machine arrives.
Should be here by Tuesday!

Back
Top Bottom