• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Best cleaner for coins?

Texashunter36

Hi all,

Just got into metal detecting and found my first 3 wheaties this past weekend. I cleaned them with lemon juice and water but my 1936 almost seemed harder to read after. What's the best thing to carry in a small spray bottle?

What about when I get some silver? Best cleaner for it? Ive noticed some on here sell their stuff. I'm not interested in that so it doesn't need to be "sellers" quality.

Thanks!

Before you clean a coin, decide if it's really necessary to do so, especially if it's a valuable coin which you don't want to damage. NEVER rub a coin!

For silver coins, try placing them in a baking tray lined with aluminium foil. Place a small amount of bicarb soda onto each coin, and then pour hot water over them. Leave them there for a minute or two. Pat them dry with something like a soft towel or tissue. You will cause damage to the coin, so don't clean you're most valuable ones!

As I live in Australia, I'm not familiar with how to clean wheaties, but try putting them in an ultra sonic cleaner for a little bit. Most of the crud should come. You could also put your silver coins in the ultrasonic cleaner. Works well on them too.

Best thing to carry in spray bottle? Probably just plain water I reckon. That's what I use and is much better than rubbing the dirt off the coin.

Hi all,

Just got into metal detecting and found my first 3 wheaties this past weekend. I cleaned them with lemon juice and water but my 1936 almost seemed harder to read after. What's the best thing to carry in a small spray bottle?

What about when I get some silver? Best cleaner for it? Ive noticed some on here sell their stuff. I'm not interested in that so it doesn't need to be "sellers" quality.

Thanks!
In most cases silver coins come out of the ground looking like the day they were lost so you won't have to clean them. You can get the dirt off them simply by using toothpaste and warm water with GENTLE rubbing and they'll look very nice.

In most cases silver coins come out of the ground looking like the day they were lost so you won't have to clean them. You can get the dirt off them simply by using toothpaste and warm water with GENTLE rubbing and they'll look very nice.

In Northeastern soil they do, but from a lot of southern and western soils they come out with really thick corrosion layers, look like junk and very often beyond cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom