New to the forum and detecting

jasonw77

My son and I went out a couple weeks back a group that was detecting and allowed us to join in. Both of us had a blast and both my son and I want to get into this. I haven't pulled the trigger on a metal detector yet, as I'm still wrapping my head around this hobby.

I realize there is no one perfect machine, but as a beginner I do not want a toy, would like a detector that will grow with me and my son. With that being said I don't have a huge budget for this buy willing to spend around 800.00 for something that can do a little of everything.

I live in the northwest of Washington state and hope to find a machine that will allow us to spend time on the beach and up into the mountains. Thanks for any help your willing to offer me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Welcome for SW Pa. IMO an AT Pro or for a little more an AT Max is a great middle of the road-waterproof machine that can hold it s own with alot of the higher priced machines. Also, don't scrimp, get a decent pinpointer. Good luck an HH Mark

For $800 you could probably get 2 AT Pros, one for you and your boy. Although, that would leave you short on getting things like pinpointers and diggers for each of you to hunt more efficiently. Beach water hunting will be an issue though because the salt, you'd need a different detector for salt water.

The AT Pro wouldn't be the best choice for the beach and salt water. A little research will get you pointed toward the right detector for your needs and budget. Have fun! Whatever you decide, I'd recommend you call a few dealers (those listed here and local to you) and get a few price quotes. Detectors are one of those items that many manufacturers restrict dealers from listing prices other than those prices the manufacturer sets. That's why you see all the same prices, but "free" extras thrown in which vary by dealer. Ordering off the web at listed price may not be the best choice.

I purchased used Whites I like turn and go machines .For $ 800 as someone posted you could get two real good ones. Welcome

Back
Top Bottom