• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Garrett 250 erratic signals

Hilsat

I picked up a used ace 250 from a friend of mine yesterday. Took it out in the yard to play a little and it seems that bumping a tall piece of grass will make it tone. I have wrapped the cord and taped it to the shaft on each end but it still has this issue.

Could it be a bad coil?

This is my first metal detector and i know absolutely nothing about them. I have ordered an at pro from Dennis at metaldetectors (Called him and he gave me a great deal) just picked up the ace yesterday because it was just shy of being free.

I remember this about the 250 I had , one of its quirks is the falsing they do. Going to a smaller coil helped , as did just getting used to not bumping it on anything , and after a while I got used to it when it did happen I could normally tell it was just a false so I paid it no mind. After getting used to the 250 and able to read its " language " it was a pretty good detector that I found hundreds of dollars worth of clad , many silver rings and coins , and one gold ring with. At first all that falsing drove me crazy though :lol:

Maybe crank down the sensitivity see if that helps. Try another coil, perhaps someone is close and has one you can try.

Well, here goes again:laughing:
(1) Run coil wire from coil STRAIGHT up the shaft for 6 inches and tape- THEN start winding around the shaft.
(2) Make sure the coil wire isn't so tight at the connector that it pulls when you sweep.
(3). Factory preset 6 bars sensitivity is usually too high and only to be used in clean, low mineral/trash areas. Four bars was found, by Mr. Bill to be adequate.
(4). If the coil has a cover, make sure it's clean between coil/cover- some small metallic pieces may cause erratic operation.
(5). The battery holder wires may be loose or bent so the batteries move during sweep. Make sure they're straight and not mashed together so they put firm pressure on batteries.
(6). Do the factory reset- hold power button till detector beeps a few times- just make sure to lower sensitivity afterwards.
(7). Finally, a sniper coil turns the Ace into a really great machine!
The first one cured my Ace from erratic operation- happy user for over 10 years. The sniper coil almost tripled my finds. Good luck!:cool:

Back
Top Bottom