Friday/Saturday Cornfield Hunt - Buttons and Bullets, and a copper

catskillcomics

Went out a couple hours on Friday and about 5 hours today, was very happy to see the farmer mowed a part of the pasture between the corn & wheat fields.

Found several lead musket balls and bullets, along with at least 15 of those dang brass casings, but you have to dig them cause they have the same vdi as buttons. That square lead with the hole in it has my curious, maybe homemade fishing weight? There is a creek next to the fields.

Speaking of buttons, I found a few including what I think (if I researched this correctly) a General Service button 1832-1902.

And finally the copper, which is smooth on both sides, it wasn't till I got home I could see a faint outline of a bust facing right. But, other than that, I couldn't see any other markings.

Hot and muggy but fun..

Attachments

• 20170617_070054_HDR.jpg
    20170617_070054_HDR.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 395
  • lead.jpg
    lead.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 393
  • buttons.jpg
    buttons.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 389
  • bust.jpg
    bust.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 400
  • wheat.jpg
    wheat.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 394
Very nice! Love digging locations like that, never know what you'll find.

Love the blowhole hole button. That button is early to mid 1700's, often found a French and Indian war sites. Congrats!

Probably correct on the "fishing weight". I live along and hunt frequently the Brandywine in Chester County Pa. I've found at least a half dozen of them. All very similar.

Back
Top Bottom