Bounty Hunter Land Ranger, original, not PRO version

debaroo

Hey, does anybody out there have one of the Land Rangers (not PRO model) from 2000-2009? They are slightly different than the Land Ranger (not PRO) from 2009 - about 2012 or so. There is a button on the touchpad called "PRESET" and the newer model had a button in the same place called "PROGRAM". I spent several weeks reviewing the only manual I could find for the Land Ranger, and finally called the manufacturer and they said there were 2 Land Ranger models (neither of which was a PRO) made from 2000-2012, and they emailed me the manual for the older model. I need help. I'm very new at metal detecting, and getting frustrated because the unit still doesn't seem to function like the instructions say. For example, the instructions say to start detecting, hold the metal detector at waist level, turn it on, and it will first display a code designated as "AR", which is air sensing...then the manual says it will go to a code "Ir", then to lower it and it will show a code for ground balancing, "gb". It never ever goes to Ir--it immediately goes to "gb". So I don't know if the instructions are wrong, if I'm doing something wrong, or if the metal detector is defective. Can anybody help?

I don't know why it needs to sense your air at waist level or what Ir stands for, only thing I can think of is iron, If it just goes to gb, you can try moving the coil up and down from 1-2" above ground to 10"-12" above ground, But I believe this just balances out minerals in all metal and has no effect on searching in disc mode. Disc mode depth will likely vary with ground minerals no matter what you do.

I had a Time Ranger and was so glad to find a buyer as I couldn't stand it. I now have a Land Ranger Pro that IDs my 5" deep dime I buried several years ago with very good accuracy, without even using gb & I run high discrim.
It also has ground balance for the low disc programs. At $240 I overpaid a bit as the new ones were under $300. Now I see another one on another site for $170 shipped, which is a very fair price.

As for now you could just use disc & not bother with that gb that only works in all metal. If the depth or IDs aren't good enough, I'd suggest sell and buy something else. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Best wishes.

The instructions say to start detecting, hold the metal detector at waist level, turn it on, and it will first display a code designated as "AR", which is air sensing...then the manual says it will go to a code "Ir", then to lower it and it will show a code for ground balancing, "gb". It never ever goes to Ir--it immediately goes to "gb". So I don't know if the instructions are wrong, if I'm doing something wrong, or if the metal detector is defective. Can anybody help?

Back
Top Bottom