The one find that saved an otherwise lame hunt

BottleCapKing

Elite Member
Met Cellrdwellr at the park I found my first gold ring at. Not the greatest place in the world for sure. But, it is old, and we are able to squeak some oldies out of it. As so far this park has produced about a half dozen mercs, a couple of barbers and three seated coins, as well as a bunch of indians, wheaties, buffs, and v nickels.

I decided to hunt a different section of the park where the original ball field is located. It is a very trashy area and close to the place where all of the drug activity takes place, so, we generally stay away from that section of that park.

I got an iffy signal. It was in wheatie range, but not, it was in IH range, but no, it was now in quarter range, but no - it is iron. The signal was reported to be ~6.5 inches, so I decided to dig. I wasn't having much luck anyway, what was there to lose? Jeff had already dug a merc and a couple of IHs at this point. For me - clad and hot rocks.

So, I get down ~6.5 inches and I am still not finding anything with my TRX. I was getting ready to fill in the hole, but decided to take one last scoop out of the hole just in case. Bzzzzzzz! Pin pointer is now picking something up. It is down on the bottom left of the hole. So, I take out my hand digger so I don't ding up what ever it may be. At 10.5 inches I finally find my target... Out of the dirt popped this bad boy!

This is only the second half I have ever found. I have been fortunate that both have been Barbers. This one is 1906. No mint mark. It is in pretty good shape I think.

We hit the same park last night. It was a short hunt for me, but, I did dig the deepest nickel of my career - a buffalo at 10". I have never found a nickel blow ~5 inches or so. I am sure we will hit this place again next weekend. Stay tuned - same bat time. Same bat channel.

Attachments

• BHobv.jpg
    BHobv.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 494
  • BHreb.jpg
    BHreb.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 488
I'm putting one of those on my bucket list. It would have travelled a long way for me to find it so it may take a while, but it is on the list. Nice find and nice bit of silver.

Now that's a coin! Id think that would make up for the other part of the day that sucked...that's a coin that eludes me also. Congrats on a hell of a find!

Great find - good job on sticking with it.

Thanks. Sometimes, I just stick with these things as a matter of spite. If the machine says 6 inches and it isn't at 6 inches, that usually means iron. My mind tells me I should just fill in the hole and move on. My stubborn side says no - we need to know WHAT is in the hole and why you wasted this time.

Thats cool.:cool:

Thanks.

I'm putting one of those on my bucket list. It would have travelled a long way for me to find it so it may take a while, but it is on the list. Nice find and nice bit of silver.

Who knows - I occasionally hear about incredibly rare America/Colonial coins being found in the UK - most recently a Lord Baltimore. Barbers are incredibly common compared to something like that. I am sure there is one in a corn field with your name on it.

Awesome awesome find! Really cool to find a barber half especially in a park!

Yeah, Halves are tough in parks. My other Half also came from a park. Well, it is called a "park" but, it was likely grazing land back in the late 17, early 1800's. And now is really nothing more than an overgrown hill that is covered in poison ivy top to bottom by end of May. Pretty much have a week or two after thaw, and from the time the ivy dies until the freeze to hunt the place. The only other silver I have pulled from this place was a 1893 barber dime. Other than that - deep cans.

Now that's a coin! Id think that would make up for the other part of the day that sucked...that's a coin that eludes me also. Congrats on a hell of a find!

It surely did make up the rest of the suckdom that was my hunt. Before and after the half, this was my hunt: Jeff: "Wow! I just found 300 indian heads in this one hole". Me: "Ummm, I found this stick. Cool, huh?" or Me: "Another football cleat - great...".

Sweet Barber half, those are hard to come by. Congrats!

Thanks. Halves of any kind are hard for me to come by. I think if I ever find a Morgan, I will keel over and die.

Beauty of a Barber! Congrats!

Thanks!
Holy hole in the donut! :laughing:

Mmmmmm... Donuts.... Is there anything they can't do?

Very cool find, my only half so far was an ugly clad Kennedy. Congrats! And be careful in that park, sounds kinda rough.

You can't argue with a barber half. And you get 2x the atteboys for getting that in worked out park turf ! Nice write-up play-by-play.

Great find! Looks to be in awesome condition. I hope to get to hunt with you guys at some point. Believe it or not I've actually never hunted in a public park (as in the manicured, mowed kind).

Saaaaweeeet bro! Up until this season I've never seen a barber half come from the ground, now I've seen two dug in person. Congrats man ! Can't wait to get back out there, HH!

Way to Go BCK! What do you figure caused such an inaccurate signal? On edge? something else down in there? whatever it was, it protected that Sweet coin all these years just for YOU!

Very cool find, my only half so far was an ugly clad Kennedy. Congrats! And be careful in that park, sounds kinda rough.

I would be very happy to find an ugly clad Kennedy - never found one before. Thanks - and I am careful. I bring non-standard metal detecting tools to the park with me.

You can't argue with a barber half. And you get 2x the atteboys for getting that in worked out park turf ! Nice write-up play-by-play.

I tried arguing with it, but it was very one sided. It just stared back at me with a rather uninterested and inconvenienced look on its face. I think this park is holding back on some good stuff. As it is now, the good stuff is coming from 7"+. We just need to go slow. I am not one to grid an area, I just wander aimlessly. I do think I am going to start marking of 10'x10' areas and grid the heck out of them. And thanks for the double attaboy! ;)

Great work sniffing out the deep Barber Half...congrats!

Thanks. It was a tough find. I scrutinized this signal for about five minutes before I pulled the trigger. I just wasn't sure what I was looking at. And, as it turned out, it wasn't what I thought it could be, either.

Great find! Looks to be in awesome condition. I hope to get to hunt with you guys at some point. Believe it or not I've actually never hunted in a public park (as in the manicured, mowed kind).

Thanks. It is in pretty decent condition. It has some environmental damage, but, other than that, all of the details are clear, even the "LIBERTY" in the headband is complete and clear. We will all have to hook up and hunt.

Saaaaweeeet bro! Up until this season I've never seen a barber half come from the ground, now I've seen two dug in person. Congrats man ! Can't wait to get back out there, HH!

Two in one year is rather special. You found yours and then I dug a seated dime. I find one, and then you dig a seated dime. If only it always worked out this way! Hunted for about an hour before the rain yesterday in the spot where I found the silver rosie - found a nifty eagle scout neckerchief slider. My first slider of the year.

Awesome score, you don't see them come out of the ground often. Congrats.

Thanks. And no, they do not come out often. In six years I have seen three. Two that I have found and one that Cellrdwellr found.

Way to Go BCK! What do you figure caused such an inaccurate signal? On edge? something else down in there? whatever it was, it protected that Sweet coin all these years just for YOU!

Thanks. Not sure what exactly caused the odd signal. I am guessing it was oriented at an angle greater than 45 degrees. I checked the hole and there was nothing else there. The White's TRX gets pretty good depth for a pin pointer, so I am pretty sure there was nothing else there. Now, the 10" buff that I found - that I think was completely incidental. The signal I got was a deep iffy-quarter signal. Turned out to be a chunk of iron, but, in rescanning the hole, I got another signal deeper down, and it was a buffalo.

Great job BCK! GL & HH!

Thanks. I am always happy to no get a rock ;)

Back
Top Bottom