Repair shop for an old Garrett Deep Seeker VLF/TR

BradTheNailer

My first post here.

I inherited my Dad's Garrett metal detector (who died in '94). It's a Garrett Deepseeker VLF/TR Circa 1975. I used it a couple times in my early 20's (late '80's early '90's) but never got the "bug". I ended up breaking the plastic end that the coil mounts too, put it away and it stayed in hiding for 25+ years.

Long story short... It doesn't work like it once did and can use some repairs.
Physically it's fine, the tone volume isn't working correctly.

I'm assuming folks here know of a reputable person I can send it to?

A few people have referred me to Keith Wills "East Texas Metal Detectors" Gilmer Tx. Is this the guy to send it to?

Thanks for any help.

garrett1_zps67ef3j7v.jpg

20170610_221450_zpsua0mbdaa.jpg

garrett3_zpsmbbyq978.jpg

Welcome aboard!

Put her on the wall with your best keepers..

Begin searching for a new machine, they make em, stronger, deeper, lighter, better ID, better ergonomics, better sounding, better prices (comparative speaking), better weather/water resistance, better recovery speed..

Did I say they make em way, way, better now?

<°)))>{

I don't know the answer to your question....
Someone here will know, I recognize a keepsake and wanting it to work as it should, because it is 'priceless/worthless ', depending on the 'looker'....
I see priceless.
Be patient, you will get your answer.:cool:

As good as Garrett customer service is I would give them a call and see if they can recommend someone

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I enjoy the challenge of hunting with vintage detectors. I believe that Keith Willis specializes in old Teknetics detectors but he might work on others as well. It should be a good machine if you can get it fixed.

I have an AT Pro, so I'm not needing a machine. Being it was my dad's, it has sentimental value to me. Also, while I'm not 100% sure, I believe my Dad drove to Garland and picked this up. Maybe even from Charles Garrett himself. We lived in a small north central Texas town about 150 miles west of Dallas at the time.

The detector worked a year or two ago. At that time it was going off constantly. I shot some "Deoxit" in the on/off sensitivity switch and other controllers and that fixed it. Maybe that wasn't a good idea, and now the Deoxit has ruined it. :shrug:

...It doesn't work like it once did and can use some repairs.
Physically it's fine, the tone volume isn't working correctly.

I'm assuming folks here know of a reputable person I can send it to?

I suggest you head over to http://www.geotech1.com/forums/forum.php and post this topic. That forum is dedicated to building and repairing detectors and electrical equipment. Lots and lots of tech folks!!!

Thanks! found a thread there describing my exact problem. After testing, it seems I have a bad transistor. Part ordered off eBay. :coolman:

That is great to hear and I hope it works for you. I also have lots of sentimental trinkets and know the feeling. Cheers!

-David

An update...just in case someone was left wondering what happened.

I replaced the transistor, but it didn't fix my sound problem. I was going to send it to Garrett but as luck would have it, I needed to make a trip to Rockwall Texas... it's about 10 miles east of Garland.

I arrived at Garrett's around 1:30pm on a Wednesday. A nice lady named "Maureen" I believe was her name, helped me. She wrote up a RO and said it may be ready that day if they have the parts. She called me around 4:30pm the same day, said it'll be ready first thing the NEXT DAY. Said it was the on/off switch. Got there the next day around 11am to pick it up, They replaced the switch with a "good used one" and replaced the battery tray. Total out the door was $30. Knowing that the battery tray alone sells for $30 online, I was more than pleased.

Before leaving I asked if they had tours of the facility, she said "sure do" and took the Wife and I on a tour of the facility. About 200-250 employees, making, assembling and packaging, AT PRO's, GOLD's, 400's 300's etc...pin-pointers, hand held wands, large walk through detectors.

If you are ever in the area, make sure you go and ask for a tour.

Oh, when you ask to use the restroom and they say, through "that door", down the end of the hall and to the left, don't be intimidated when your walk through "that door". :shock:

Attachments

• garrett51.jpg
    garrett51.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 673
...Oh, when you ask to use the restroom and they say, through "that door", down the end of the hall and to the left, don't be intimidated when your walk through "that door". :shock:

LOL, that is hilarious.

Hey, glad to hear they were able to help out. Their committment to help customers is amazing!

Back
Top Bottom