• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

How good of a hunter ARE you?

IDXMonster

Elite Member
Are you the "permission a minute" person to cherry pick old houses? Are you the person who hunts and hunts and hunts a pounded park some more for the challenge or finding one more keeper? Are you the hunter who dives into the garbage pit to see if you can decipher all of that electronic blabbering?
In your mind...what makes a really good hunter?

I am happy with how "good" I am but have no doubt many are better. I am not so much a door knocker, more of a field or woods hunter but have hunted plenty of yards. One could say I am persistent because I detect a lot. I do this because I enjoy being out in the great outdoors and being focused on what my machine is telling me. I do enjoy trash digging with the deus and a good full tones trash program. Other deus users will understand and agree. I guess for me the primary answer is persistence. I have posted some pretty cool finds but what some do not realize is the time spent to make these finds. Maybe I am not "good" at all but more "lucky" to stumble upon things. :lol:

Are you the "permission a minute" person to cherry pick old houses? Are you the person who hunts and hunts and hunts a pounded park some more for the challenge or finding one more keeper? Are you the hunter who dives into the garbage pit to see if you can decipher all of that electronic blabbering?
In your mind...what makes a really good hunter?
All of the above.

I am happy with how "good" I am but have no doubt many are better. I am not so much a door knocker, more of a field or woods hunter but have hunted plenty of yards. One could say I am persistent because I detect a lot. I do this because I enjoy being out in the great outdoors and being focused on what my machine is telling me. I do enjoy trash digging with the deus and a good full tones trash program. Other deus users will understand and agree. I guess for me the primary answer is persistence. I have posted some pretty cool finds but what some do not realize is the time spent to make these finds. Maybe I am not "good" at all but more "lucky" to stumble upon things. :lol:

Well put, I'm in your boat:grin:

I am all three.
Don't know if that makes me a good hunter or just crazy but I sure enjoy doing it all.
When something great does pop up in those last two challenging type of sites it can be thrilling and very satisfying.

Absolutely Digger, that's what primarily floats my boat....bending a site to my will and making it cough out one more! Persistence to the Nth degree!
Depending on who you ask...we are all slightly crazy...;)

Absolutely Digger, that's what primarily floats my boat....bending a site to my will and making it cough out one more! Persistence to the Nth degree!
Depending on who you ask...we are all slightly crazy...;)

I may be more than slightly...:lol:

I never hunt parks... I only hunt permissions that I have many of... park hunters can have all the bottle caps and junk the users leave them... I'll stick with private properties...

I never hunt parks... I only hunt permissions that I have many of... park hunters can have all the bottle caps and junk the users leave them... I'll stick with private properties...

I agree, I have hunted parks but I am not comfortable with where I am, who is watching me or what I find.

I primarily hunt old ballfields and parks, and while the trash is heavy, the goods are still there. Slow sweeps very low to the ground. Crazy the amount of good stuff I've pulled from parks that other people pass up. Most can't handle the overwhelming orchestra in there ear. While it is tough, I rarely go home without a keeper and if you are after multiple old coins, these spots are perfect. Wherever you've had hundreds of people congregating in a spot for hundreds of years. I'm slowly getting into door knocking and water hunting . Happy hunting !

What makes a really GOOD Hunter? Are we grading on the curve? :laughing:

I suppose, overall, a person has to have an enlarged and overactive treasure hunters imagination teamed with a subsistence hunters reptilian amygdala...Thats a good start, the rest are just details/practice/location...Just as in any Pursuit Oriented Sport!

The Sport of Detecting lends itself well to people with these Personality traits...All Season, multiple genres, No ramp fees, licenses or limits!....

Some of the lessons learned in our former Pursuit Sports translated across into this one seamlessly and gave some a bit of an advantage...Not easily discouraged, paying attention to detail, used to weather, a deep bag of skills to suit various situations...physical condition and endurance are a plus...

A Lifetime afield exhibiting a proven penchant and acknowledgement for attracting Luck is also important.

The various subset skills in the multitude of genres within this Sport also translate across and build upon themselves...So you can start out being a Tot Lot Monster, take those skills over to the park and become a Master Clad Stabber, get to know the area and commence to hunting curbstrips and tearouts, door knocking, and even into the water for Gold...

Learn the language of a rig, what the dirt is saying, how Humans interact and metals behave, and the World is your oyster! Time is short, coils are small, Big Planet! Gold/Silver waits for Nobody! In a way, classifying oneself as a 'Good Hunter' is a daily thing....Its all about results!

A Noobie hunter afield right now is a BETTER HUNTER than a self annointed Master sitting here typing!:laughing::laughing: oh look! Theres a penny on the floor under my desk! Whoopee! Man am I GOOD!:laughing:

A good hunter will usually come home with a keeper or 2 in the bag after each outing, whatever it is he considers a keeper...myself, I won't knock on a random door and ask to detect, but will hunt the properties of friends and sometimes their friends if the opportunity presents itself, even though it's like shooting fish in a barrel...it ain't hard to find keepers in a place that's probably never been hunted:lol: My dirt digging bread and butter is working the pounded old parks, schoolyards, ballfields and woods for silver that's either deep or hidden in the trash...skill and situational awareness, combined with patience, persistence and tenacity brings home the goods:yes:

Been there, done all the above. Today I'm a "for the fun" of it hunter. Done the dig it all. Done the hunt the old park until there isn't an inch I haven't touched. Done the walking thru plowed fields for hours on end and for days, months and years looking for those few missed relics/coins. Hunted every inch of every tot lot within 50 miles. And what do I have to show for it? Years and years of some of the best times of my life. Boxes and boxes of relics, coins and rings. But best of all is I now have become one of the foremost amateur historians of this area. There are few alive today with the vast knowledge I have of this area, and that is my greatest treasure.

Today my age has slowed me down from a kid, who in my 20's who would hunt at every minute he had free, to a very selective hunter. There is little I have left on my wish list. Today I can't hunt in the heat, and heat for me is 80's or above, and don't do below 50's or below, unless I have a very good reason. Today my greatest enjoyment is feeding off watching the excitement of a first for someone new to detecting.

All of the above.

^ ^ this ^ ^

who can argue with child's play easies from a virgin yard ? haha

But sure: There's the thrill of "one-upping your competition" and getting a deeper whisper in a worked out park, eh ? Or to decipher a conductive target trying to peek out from beneath iron in a ghost town, etc....

Some of all the above, but mostly trying to coax one more little silver bit out of some hard-pounded old piece of dirt because good spots here are few and far between. I'm no great hunter, obviously, but I'm a pretty good student and am learning every time I take a machine out to hunt.

And luck, yes, that has to play some part, but maybe persistence breeds luck since not being persistent doesn't get a coil over a nice target... but getting out there an going over the same old hunting grounds just one more time sometimes does!

Still, if I could find some virgin ground oh heck yeah, I'd take the easy loot too!

Well , I have never thaught about it . Being a good hunter and hunting good or well with the ground you have chosen or are presented with is my challenge.
I am easily distracted and when hunting with others I am less intent on production. There are hunts for me that i have an almost superhuman connection with my machine and environment . The abuility to count a pocket spill of change wile still in the ground and know I need to dig past a gum wrapper and nail before I get to the 93 cents in 80's pocket change.
This may be an exaggeration but I am trying to describe the fact that sometimes I am dialed in and other times I am just happy to be swinging.
One thing is for sure . I have met a hanfull of amaizing hunters . After competitive fishing for 30 years and knowing that a grizzled old veteran who has spent half a lifetime doing this kind of thing develops this craft to a level I can not yet comprehend . I'm guessing most will take me to school. And I am happy to stand aside and observe.
Ya I find stuff .. but I know I can always use a little more practice .
Last season I found 156 silvers from hunted out public parks schools and ball fields . I know I'd rather be lucky then good and I know you must first find fish to catch fish. Looking forward to more practice .
HH , Dew

Back
Top Bottom