• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Arkansas civil war sites?

Hello fellow Arkie md'er. I am from Booneville, just down the road from you and I work in Fort Smith. I drive a big truck and I know of 2 areas that I drive through alot in which there was some civil war action. I have often thought about trying to get permission to hunt them.

I work for Hugg and Hall. Well, one spot is Backbone mountain and the other is Massard prairie. I wouldnt mind hunting together but right now I am waiting for my new detector to get here which hopefully will be this next week.

Yea iv'e done research on backbone moutain looking at it on google earth...iv'e heard of massard prairie never seen it tho...is there land around the park for it that is private property that maybe we could hunt?

I would think there would be since there are residences in that area. I am unsure though where exactly the best location is. I have a rough idea but I need to do some more looking into it,

I used to work as a park ranger for Arkansas State Parks from 2003-05...I'd look into getting permission from private property owners around the Poison Springs and Jenkins' Ferry battle sites. Camden, in the southwest part of the state, has some interesting Civil War history you might want to check out as well. Hope this helps!

Hey fellow Arkie hunters.
I am from the south side of Fort Smith.
I live about 2 miles from the Battle of Devils backbone.
I have been looking into that sight pretty hard it is all private but + Or - 10 acres. Dont look around the Historical marker on HWY 71 because thats not it.

Have you guys considered Cane Hill? I think I can get on around 100 or so acres there that are private.

There are alot of places over in OK close to us as well. Backbone, Skullyville. and the Butterfield trail.

I have been having a hard time locating exact locals on the OK side. but am working on it.

Last edited:
Hey

Hey y'all I live south of fort smith in alma and have got several places to hunt for union and confederate stuff. Have tried massard before with little luck. Also heard backbone is littered with good relics. Anyone have any spots near cane hill. I have permission to hunt lots of land near cross hollows where I have found both union and confederate. Let me know. Looking for detecting buddies. Thanks

hey

hey yall i have been trying to grt a couple detecting buddies in the nw arkansas area to go detecting with. i have a couple hot spots to go to. i have permission in cross hollows and some other places. anyone interested. ozarks you out there.. let me know. my name is dalton. real honest and trusting person. work at local sheriffs office and havent found many buddies to go detecting with. been up in the benton county area hunting for around 15 years now. also some places in fort smith.

hey yall i have been trying to grt a couple detecting buddies in the nw arkansas area to go detecting with. i have a couple hot spots to go to. i have permission in cross hollows and some other places. anyone interested. ozarks you out there.. let me know. my name is dalton. real honest and trusting person. work at local sheriffs office and havent found many buddies to go detecting with. been up in the benton county area hunting for around 15 years now. also some places in fort smith.

Oh yea me and the wife have been wanting to go to some places like that for a while still learning my older Garrett GTI 1500 thinking about selling it and getting and AT pro....I know another guy on here from fort smith who just got his AT Pro and I'm sure he would be up for some MDING!!!

I am certainly interested in joining some others to hunt battlefields with. I havent had the opportunity yet to hunt any CW sites but would love to someday. I know of Backbone mountain and Massard but I am not familiar with Butterfield trail, although I keep seeing the new signs indicating the Butterfileld trail, Civil War trail and the Trail of Tears.

Oh yea me and the wife have been wanting to go to some places like that for a while still learning my older Garrett GTI 1500 thinking about selling it and getting and AT pro....I know another guy on here from fort smith who just got his AT Pro and I'm sure he would be up for some MDING!!!

Hey I'm originally from Arkansas and looking to move back to the Little Rock or Benton area within the next year. I bought a USED Garrett ADS Deepseeker VLF/TR from a friend and have been in touch with Garrett and have been told that I can TRADE it back in on another NEW Garrett and they would take 40% off the new one!!!!!!!!!!! And they don't care if it works or not! I am considering doing just that! I thought about a Garrett AT PRO. I'm mostly a coinshooter but love anything Civil War -- I've detected off and on since 1999 with various units -- currently use a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202. I have a few CW bullets (don't know much about them).

(Just thought you might like to know about the TRADE-IN deal with Garrett.)

I know this isn't related to CW sites in Arkansas but I'm asking about general metal detecting in Arkansas -- specifically along the Arkansas River in Little Rock. My dad had a fishing boat on the river when I was a kid and tied it up on the bank (a big boat). So if he had a boat I'm sure others did. Is there any special permits needed to detect along the bank -- or is that open to anyone anytime. Or is it not a "safe" area to detect. Looking for places to detect when I move back to Arkansas -- hopefully soon. :?: Sorry to "hijack" this thread. But I needed info from some Arkansas MDrs who would know.

I have often wondered the same thing. I would like to detect some of the sandbars along the river edge but I have never seen anyone doing it. In particular I am interested in the old ferry crossing at Dardanelle or any of the old crossings used during the Civil War.

Arkansas md

Hey y'all I live south of fort smith in alma and have got several places to hunt for union and confederate stuff. Have tried massard before with little luck. Also heard backbone is littered with good relics. Anyone have any spots near cane hill. I have permission to hunt lots of land near cross hollows where I have found both union and confederate. Let me know. Looking for detecting buddies. Thanks

Hi everyone! I Matt and live in the fort smith area. Just getting back into md, I have prism 2 and a delta 4000 in the mail. Would like to meet some hunting buddies, so feel free to hit me up!

Should be some good finds around there

Back
Top Bottom