Anyone in Ct know if we have abandoned properties that are legal to detect?

tinsmith

Elite Member
Have not googled this question yet so wonder if anyone has experience with this subject as titled?

If a tree falls in woods but no one was around to hear it: Did it make a sound ?

Ummmmmmm......Yeah? All sorts of abandoned properties that you can easily detect...Lots of posts written here about the Parameters and Formalities associated with this subject...Take a read and get an idea of how we roll!

The "how we roll " allusion by mud-puppy, is along these lines:

When someone asks about whether a place OF ANY SORT is "legal to detect" ? Is when you enter in to 50 shades of definitions and "gotchas". In other words: NO PLACE is "legal to detect". Depending on how one words the question, and who you ask, you can ALWAYS find a "no". And even have some ancillary language pointed out to you that could be morphed to apply.

Yup, every single sandbox, no matter how innocuous, you *could* find some law or rule that .... depending on which pencil pusher or archie you asked *could* say "that's illegal".

Also, even the term "abandoned" is full of contingencies & debate. Like, well, do you simply mean currently un-inhabited ? (perhaps the owner lives down the street and is hot & bothered about everything). Or did you mean abandoned and it's been taken over by the city or county with eminent domain for back-taxes ? If so, then the debate ensues of "does that mean you have to go grovel at city or county for 'permission', lest you be 'illegal' ?" Or do you just help yourself, knowing that it's public land ?

Hence as you can see, you'd need to post more info, and even then: answers will vary on how skittish persons are (go figure, this is a family friendly forum too)

I always try to find out who owns an abandoned property before asking for permission. If I know the city or county owns it I detect it......i pay more than enough taxes, which is what helps purchase these places in the first place.

I always try to find out who owns an abandoned property before asking for permission. If I know the city or county owns it I detect it......i pay more than enough taxes, which is what helps purchase these places in the first place.

This. If the property is truly abandoned and has become city, county, state or federal property I'll hunt it until asked to leave by someone with a badge and a gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are a few that I hunt when I visit Ct. Takes a little research to get permission, and find owners. It takes some effort, but have done very well.....:yes: (I only hunt them when the ticks are hibernating.....;))

Back
Top Bottom