Predator foot pad option

cellrdwellr

Elite Member
I was looking around for other options for foot pads, and the idea hit me awhile back to use old bicycle brake pads. Looking around the garage, I only had the small black ones. I found these on Amazon for $7.43 and I had to give them a try: RUJOI Bike Brake Pads Set,V Brake Shoes with Hex Nuts and Washers, Brakes V-Brake Replacement Set for Cruiser MTB Mountain Bicycle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081FZ14XY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_i_XZX25A8K8MQH1ADBFZDE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Comes with 2 sets of brakes (4 pads total) and also the hex key to tighten them. They fit quite well, and don't look all that bad either. I will update after some in field use takes place, might trim them a little. Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Attachments

• 20220515_182338.jpg
    20220515_182338.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 426
  • 20220515_182346.jpg
    20220515_182346.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 410
OK, question. I'd recently purchased a Predator shovel, and like yours, has provisions for footpads.

I preferred the larger surface area (for my big feet), but never exactly understood the purpose of the pads?

Someone enlighten me, I don't want to miss out on something :lol:

The only thing I can think of is that flat surface when wet is slippery as hell, with my Lesche Sampson whenever my shoes were wet if I wasn't careful/focusing and trying to pop plugs fast, my shoe would slip right off and rip the living hell out of my ankles as I raked it over the corner of the shovel. I might just be a turnip, but it happened more times than I can count.

I just ordered a Predator, I'm just going to design something with some knurls for grip and bolt that onto it, because $15 for a single footpad is nuts.

Thanks Chris! Maybe that's why I didn't understand, as I always wear boots with a heel.

I've got some drop cut pieces of stall mat, if I ever see the need, a couple pieces of that and 4-1/4" carriage bolts would be a cheap solution.

Chris is spot on, I severely bruised the arch of my foot a couple times hunting with wet sneakers. 9/10 hunts I'm in my work boots, but that 10% can be a real pain sometimes. These were a cheap alternative, and should help to avoid this. Hoping to get a hunt in this week, finally out of quarantine :yes: will update after a few hours of use.

Come to think of it, it's definitely only a warm weather thing, only happens when I have on some offroad sneakers or something like that. The mat and carriage bolts wouldn't definitely work.

The shovel that I have now (linked below( I never worried about it, because they engineered grip into the foot rest area, but after a couple years and long hunts this thing weighs 5 pounds and gets old after a while. Once I saw the Predator with a 40" handle was just a tad over 3 pounds I think the weight savings will be worth it.

https://highplainsprospectors.com/p...MUTvfb5TnXZxzY7c5jusW8XtWEURkQDxoCkukQAvD_BwE

Chris is spot on, I severely bruised the arch of my foot a couple times hunting with wet sneakers. 9/10 hunts I'm in my work boots, but that 10% can be a real pain sometimes. These were a cheap alternative, and should help to avoid this. Hoping to get a hunt in this week, finally out of quarantine :yes: will update after a few hours of use.

I'll just keep wearing boots. :lol:

Update, these pads have worked flawlessly for 20+ hours so far. I was worried they might work themselves loose, but they are still in the same position as when they were installed. Definitely worth the money IMO!

From the pic I only see one bolt holding each pad....seems to me they will be turning around in a circle not too far down the road...Unless I'm not seeing the pic correctly.

From the pic I only see one bolt holding each pad....seems to me they will be turning around in a circle not too far down the road...Unless I'm not seeing the pic correctly.

Nope you are correct, only one bolt. There's a lock washer on each side of the bolt, so it would take a great deal of pressure to move them. I've got close to 50 hours on them and they haven't moved, hopefully it stays that way :lol: I will update this thread if anything changes.

Nope you are correct, only one bolt. There's a lock washer on each side of the bolt, so it would take a great deal of pressure to move them. I've got close to 50 hours on them and they haven't moved, hopefully it stays that way :lol: I will update this thread if anything changes.

how are your foot pads holding up, I have the predator phoenix shovel and want to put foot pads on it seen your thread and like the idea

also have you noticed anything with the pad being raised off the shovel pads where you attached your foot pads.

how are your foot pads holding up, I have the predator phoenix shovel and want to put foot pads on it seen your thread and like the idea

also have you noticed anything with the pad being raised off the shovel pads where you attached your foot pads.

These are holding up great for the price! They bent a little from kicking it down so many times, and there's slight wear on the actual pad. They haven't moved one bit since I've installed them other then a slight bend. I can take a picture tomorrow and show what they look like now. Been almost a whole season, and I still have a brand new spare set, when these break/wear out. Definitely recommend!

These are holding up great for the price! They bent a little from kicking it down so many times, and there's slight wear on the actual pad. They haven't moved one bit since I've installed them other then a slight bend. I can take a picture tomorrow and show what they look like now. Been almost a whole season, and I still have a brand new spare set, when these break/wear out. Definitely recommend!

thanks for the reply

Last edited:
I'll just keep wearing boots. :lol:

Me too! I see folks turning up to digs in Trainers (sneakers) here in the UK and I just shake my head... I am talking about day digs on farmland too, not a quick half hour on curb strips...

This year we had a really hot, dry summer, and I could see why some might be tempted to wear trainers to be more comfortable, but the ground was particularly hard, so I think boots were still a better option as you needed to really drive the spade into the earth...

Luckily, there are some really good ex British Army boots available on the Surplus market at the moment so you don't have to spend a fortune and the soles are tough enough to hold up to digging long term....

Here's a crappy in field pic of the current condition of the pads. Apparenty the dominant pad has started to reveal the metal that the pad is attached to. No big deal, it should last a bit longer, and I also have that spare set I can install when that happens. For less than 8$ for 4, it's a no brainer for me, absolutely worth the money. I might try other brands and see if I can find some that are more robust. These are great, but I'm sure I can find some for a similar price that should last longer. Will update this thread with any new developments. Happy hunting!

Attachments

• 20221016_175447.jpg
    20221016_175447.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 177
Just an update, the original pads are still going strong. I'll try to get an updated picture up soon. If/when the pads strip down to bare metal, I'll switch to the new set. Anyone have a set of the pads they sell on the predator website? Just wondering how robust they are, and if they are actually worth the money.

summary of the Predator pad discussion:
  1. We love Predator shovels, but the pads are overpriced at $30/pair
  2. Without pads or boots, we scrape our ankles
  3. So we spend cash on bicycle brake pads and other solutions to try to do the job for less than $30
Here’s what I wear detecting, through poison oak, brambles and drug needles:

1701881937364.png

$39 HISEA Men's Steel Toe Rain Boots PVC Rubber Boots, Waterproof Garden Fishing Outdoor Work Boots, Durable Slip Resistant Knee Boots for Agriculture and Industrial Working https://a.co/d/2iDEY3Z

They are also my farm boots and chainsaw boots and construction boots. Living on a farm for 3 years has taught us the need for indoor tennies and outdoor boots.

summary of the Predator pad discussion:
  1. We love Predator shovels, but the pads are overpriced at $30/pair
  2. Without pads or boots, we scrape our ankles
  3. So we spend cash on bicycle brake pads and other solutions to try to do the job for less than $30
Here’s what I wear detecting, through poison oak, brambles and drug needles:

View attachment 588014

$39 HISEA Men's Steel Toe Rain Boots PVC Rubber Boots, Waterproof Garden Fishing Outdoor Work Boots, Durable Slip Resistant Knee Boots for Agriculture and Industrial Working https://a.co/d/2iDEY3Z

They are also my farm boots and chainsaw boots and construction boots. Living on a farm for 3 years has taught us the need for indoor tennies and outdoor boots.
Those are BIG footpads 😂 I like to hunt comfortably on occasion, and lugging around in almost knee high boots all the time is not my idea of comfort. If it works for you though, that's all that matters. I do wear work boots most days, but during the summer way too hot. I don't really hunt the brambles, poison oak, etc during summer months anyway. Far too many ticks, mosquitoes, and gnats. During the summer I like to hit open fields, and a few parks or ball fields. I would rather wear sneakers, and with these pads, you can do either, and worry less about injury. Appreciate your input!

Back
Top Bottom