• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Deus 2 - Deep HC

REAL_RAT_FINK

Forum Supporter
I've enjoyed the D2 quite a bit. At the beach "beach sensitive" is my go to. But on land I've been trying to figure out the best program to use. I don't understand "park" at all. The tones don't seem to speak the right information to me... I was using "general" as my go to, but now I'm using "Deep HC". Deep HC woke up a site for me that I have pounded with noxy and the legend and the tones/ID were spot on. Pretty excited about using Deep HC more....

What are your favorite go to settings for parks with the D2?

I’m really liking the fast program. I tweaked it to get a little more depth and notch out some unwanted target ranges. It’s been working well for me.

I've enjoyed the D2 quite a bit. At the beach "beach sensitive" is my go to. But on land I've been trying to figure out the best program to use. I don't understand "park" at all. The tones don't seem to speak the right information to me... I was using "general" as my go to, but now I'm using "Deep HC". Deep HC woke up a site for me that I have pounded with noxy and the legend and the tones/ID were spot on. Pretty excited about using Deep HC more....

It depends.
Around loads of iron fast program does well.
Around modern trash both deep HC and fast can do well.
I did a video not that long ago.
I was in a park.
And was comparing signals. Between deep HC and fast. One target read little low in fast. Deep HC it read higher. Turned out coin being masked by foil. Deep HC nailed it. Due to lower freq used.
Now use of deep HC, when cherry picking even some bigger foil or a lower conductor could skew ID of higher conductive coin. But would be skewed less on average versus the fast program.
Not hard to compare signals like this.
Plus aluminum twist caps , quite a few can be spotted doing the comparison between the programs.

Cheers.

I’m really liking the fast program. I tweaked it to get a little more depth and notch out some unwanted target ranges. It’s been working well for me.

Interesting.... I'll have to play with that. Can fast go deep as "deep HC?" Usually fast is a depth killer.

+1 for the Fast program.

I'll check it out, ty :yes:

It depends.
Around loads of iron fast program does well.
Around modern trash both deep HC and fast can do well.
I did a video not that long ago.
I was in a park.
And was comparing signals. Between deep HC and fast. One target read little low in fast. Deep HC it read higher. Turned out coin being masked by foil. Deep HC nailed it. Due to lower freq used.
Now use of deep HC, when cherry picking even some bigger foil or a lower conductor could skew ID of higher conductive coin. But would be skewed less on average versus the fast program.
Not hard to compare signals like this.
Plus aluminum twist caps , quite a few can be spotted doing the comparison between the programs.

Cheers.

Thanks for the info TNsharpshooter

Interesting.... I'll have to play with that. Can fast go deep as "deep HC?" Usually fast is a depth killer.

I think Deep HC will still hold the edge in all out depth on high conductors due to the lower weighted frequencies, but if you lower the reactivity and bump up sensitivity, fast can go pretty deep and still maintain good separation. It also seems to hit coins on edge better to me. FWIW, using a tweaked version of Fast, I’ve dug coins in the 8”-10” range. That’s plenty deep in my soil.

I actually live by the beach but am not really into "beach hunting" (yet). I recently took my Deus 2 there and played around with it. I found a small modern pull tab so I figured I would try seeing how deep it would go. I was using Beach Sensitive and 99 sensitivity. I could not believe the depth I was getting. I tested the pull tab to about 14-16 inches and it was hitting it with ID. I also did this with a modern nickel and was getting the same results. I am very impressed.

I think Deep HC will still hold the edge in all out depth on high conductors due to the lower weighted frequencies, but if you lower the reactivity and bump up sensitivity, fast can go pretty deep and still maintain good separation. It also seems to hit coins on edge better to me. FWIW, using a tweaked version of Fast, I’ve dug coins in the 8”-10” range. That’s plenty deep in my soil.

Deep HC is great, but man, it is zapping my battery quickly.

I’m a fan of FAST with some modifications for trash exclusion. I went on a 20 minute exploratory hunt, that is, I had someplace to be, but there was no benefit to arriving early, so I checked out a site I’ve been meaning to try. There was a ton of iron in the ground, at least a dozen “grunts” per sweep. I concentrated only on 80+ signals and dug 5 targets. 1 nail (sketchy ID), an aluminum bottle cap, a piece of copper wire, a zincoln, and a 1910 wheatie. The wheatie was in really heavy iron, so I’m assuming the site was hit before, but this one was missed due to iron levels. I plan to go back to this place when I get a chance, but it’s planting season on the farm and wife’s garden is *more important* apparently than metal detecting…

I’m a fan of FAST with some modifications for trash exclusion. I went on a 20 minute exploratory hunt, that is, I had someplace to be, but there was no benefit to arriving early, so I checked out a site I’ve been meaning to try. There was a ton of iron in the ground, at least a dozen “grunts” per sweep. I concentrated only on 80+ signals and dug 5 targets. 1 nail (sketchy ID), an aluminum bottle cap, a piece of copper wire, a zincoln, and a 1910 wheatie. The wheatie was in really heavy iron, so I’m assuming the site was hit before, but this one was missed due to iron levels. I plan to go back to this place when I get a chance, but it’s planting season on the farm and wife’s garden is *more important* apparently than metal detecting…

“More important” to WHO? Oh yeah…I get it…it’s important to her so by extension it had better be important to you. I got over that awhile ago. Don’t worry, it’ll pass.;)

“More important” to WHO? Oh yeah…I get it…it’s important to her so by extension it had better be important to you. I got over that awhile ago. Don’t worry, it’ll pass.;)

I’m cavalier, just not suicidal. If mum says the garden is square one, square one it is! I went so far at to order the Queen a high tunnel this year, which will be delivered this week. It’s not a project, it’s a giant erector set!!!

I found my deepest finds (with XPD2) last night using deep HC. 2 quarters in the same hole at 8". Signal was banging. That's good depth for the 9" coil. That signal was better than the 8" deep 1/2 I have in the backyard.

Astounds me that clad can get that deep.

I’m cavalier, just not suicidal. If mum says the garden is square one, square one it is! I went so far at to order the Queen a high tunnel this year, which will be delivered this week. It’s not a project, it’s a giant erector set!!!

:lol: That is actually way cool, that’ll keep her busy (after you get done building it). You almost need something like that with the rotten weather and animals eating everything in sight.

:lol: That is actually way cool, that’ll keep her busy (after you get done building it). You almost need something like that with the rotten weather and animals eating everything in sight.

It's the weather that's the primary driver. It's either the late frost events, too much rain in a short period, or wind. Hoping to reduce the uncontrollable and maybe keep the critters at bay too.

I've been using Scott's (Mental Metal) coin program and it has worked well for me. Pulled a small cuff flat button close to 8" down yesterday with it. Other programs I've tried recently are Gary B's relic program for high conductors (non-ferrous). It requires to dig according to the TID numbers not by the tones (pitch) which seems to work, well also. The D2's ability to have a consistent TID at 6"+ helps with limiting trash. The numbers don't lie on the D2.

I actually live by the beach but am not really into "beach hunting" (yet). I recently took my Deus 2 there and played around with it. I found a small modern pull tab so I figured I would try seeing how deep it would go. I was using Beach Sensitive and 99 sensitivity. I could not believe the depth I was getting. I tested the pull tab to about 14-16 inches and it was hitting it with ID. I also did this with a modern nickel and was getting the same results. I am very impressed.

I can see that you might not be into beach hunting depending on what part of the Treasure Coast you live. The northern part from Sebastian Inlet to Vero Beach has been filled in with probably 8 feet of new sand from the infinite wisdom of county officials. Guess what, the next storm will likely take out that 8 feet of sand. But until then you best stick to parks, volleyball courts, basketball courts & totlots.

I have found Deep HC to be problematic in areas polluted with iron. Deep HC loves to false on iron and in general the Deus 2 has a high false-positive rate when it comes to iron. I get lots of nails that are entirely indistinguishable from non-ferrous, even when rotating around the object.

I have found Deep HC to be problematic in areas polluted with iron. Deep HC loves to false on iron and in general the Deus 2 has a high false-positive rate when it comes to iron. I get lots of nails that are entirely indistinguishable from non-ferrous, even when rotating around the object.

Instead of circling, try pumping the coil over it. You should then get an iron ID, and/or an iron audio tone if it's enabled.

I think Deep HC will still hold the edge in all out depth on high conductors due to the lower weighted frequencies, but if you lower the reactivity and bump up sensitivity, fast can go pretty deep and still maintain good separation. It also seems to hit coins on edge better to me.

With higher frequencies, I can hit edged and partially edged coins much better than the lower frequencies. That's important, considering virtually all coins in the ground will be on edge or partially edged.

Back
Top Bottom