Bucklister...finally

ollievon

Elite Member
So, every time I'm out detecting whether it be in a colonial field, cornfield, woods, or random cellar hole, I'm always thinking "you know why you find so much...you put in the 10,000 hours", and it does pay off eventually, seriously.

I've been detecting since 1992 (28 years) and I've been everywhere, found everything from a Morgan to a GW button, wanted to give up so many times due to dry spells...but kept on feeding the addiction. Well, of all the things I've wanted to find recently, it has been a seated quarter...they are rarer than hens teeth here in NYS...I don't know why, but everything before and after I find...but seated's are really scarce.

A friend of mine downstate told me he thought he had an old barn or house on his property and offered me to see what I could find..he knew little of the history of the property and the maps for area offered little to nothing. The drive there, since it is autumn, revealed tons of stone walls...so I think I've found my new area to walk and explore for the remainder of the year, lol.

Upon getting to his property I was blown away by the size of this foundation, digging is near impossible since the ground is all slate and bedrock...so they built everything up, and dug nothing, amazing.

After about 20 minutes of iron tones and broken glass (really old glass, but nothing whole...always the way), I got a solid quarter hit and my eyes lit up...at 2 inches! Low and behold a quarter popped up (although the pessimist in me figured it was at best a silver Washington from a hunter who copped a squat), and once I wiped the coin saw THE EAGLE! I wanted to die, it was a n 1877 seated quarter in very fine condition, I was beyond thrilled and just had to pause for a minute and thank the MD gods. This is one coin that has alluded me for years...I've found dimes, but never a quarter, so I'm very happy.

Remember to all the newbies out there, don't give up...just keep pressing forward and put in the 10,000 hours, it will pay off eventually.

Check it out...it's a beauty! Apologies for the sideways pictures...for some reason my computer has been uploading them this way...annoying

Attachments

• 62523976172__C67AC6C4-2B12-4F09-B5A6-E75B98C9B3CF.JPG
    62523976172__C67AC6C4-2B12-4F09-B5A6-E75B98C9B3CF.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 590
  • 62523980630__BD67B9BD-8A86-4142-90F8-872F30C01EB1.JPG
    62523980630__BD67B9BD-8A86-4142-90F8-872F30C01EB1.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_1457.jpg
    IMG_1457.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 562
  • IMG_1458.jpg
    IMG_1458.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 551
Hopefully your 10,000 hours searching was having a good time and not "work"
Congrats.

That's a beauty! Congrats!

LOL, so true! I want to say it's "always" a pleasure...but there have been days (weeks even) when all I've got it skunked and wish I had used the time to do something else...but there's always times like this that just make you hungry for the next weekend and permission...like I said, I'm always feeding the addiction.

That is sweet, nice pics! Oh yeah, if I don’t hold my Iphone horizontally when shooting pics, the photo will load sideways. :cool3:

Wow, congrats on a fantastic find !!!! :thumbsup:

......after finding that I'd be hunting every square foot of that entire area very carefully !

Hope you find more there !

Great find. Thanks for sharing pics of the area you were hunting. I always like to see where something was found!

Ken

WTG on finding your elusive seated quarter! It seems the more one wants to find a particular item, the more evasive it becomes until that one day where the stars align...

Again, major congrats!

Last edited:
Huge congratulations on finding your white whale!
I have found seated dimes and even a seated half, but now I have to go look in my albums to see if I ever found a seated quarter.
CONGRATULATIONS!!

Very nice find for sure. I still rember the day I found my first seated. Such a nice feeling to check one off the bucket list.

Great story!! Congrats!!! CC no less! YES...any seated is a tough find....I have a lot more Reales than Seated coins. Greatest addiction ever....HH!

Back
Top Bottom